6 replies to this topic

#1 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

I, like others on this forum, have had trouble recently getting the RM website to work. It appears that Javascript is not working in my windows 7 environment. I have tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome following all their instructions on how to get Javascript to function - to no avail.

I want it to work on my Android tablet using firefox as the browser to take on research trips to look up data as needed. I have tried the RM website in my website development tool, Dreamweaver, and all the javascript works their just fine.

What am I doing wrong? While not a showstopper it would be nice if I can get this useful tool back.

#2 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:36 AM

Although a few years ago (perhaps Android is different now?) I tried to get a non JS 'website' of my research to run on an Android tablet without success - at that time lots of internet posts seemed to report the same problem. I suspect your tablet problem may be slightly different to JS websites not running from hard drive under windows in that Android does not support (or perhaps only  limited support)  running 'websites' on local storage.

I moved to using a windows 7 netbook or my data on USB stick when away on research trips so gave up trying to get something working on Android.

I would be interested to hear if things have changed.

#3 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:25 AM

Trebor22,

I'm sorry I don't have very accurate time frames but about 1.5 years ago I did successfully run this on my tablet running android. The problem appears to be at least similar to my problem running this on my windows machines. The common thread I think is the browser. I am using Firefox on my tablet as well as on my windows machines. All exhibit the lack of ability to run javascript.

All versions of browsers have been checked to see if javascript.enabled is true and they are so that should not be an issue. Perhaps some other software like Norton is intervening on my behalf but they usually announce that they have done something so I am not hopeful on that front.

My next step is to try it on a PC with windows 10 to see if that clears up the issue.

For the time being I will address the issue of research trips some other way. I can have access to a windows laptop and can run RM TO GO that might solve the issue of access to data but not the issue of a website from RM.

Now I am very curious to find out just what has changed even if I have workarounds.

DICK-TMG

#4 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:42 AM

I'm not familiar with the particular javascript code your running but you might be running up against a security change that was implemented in Firefox 68 and later. You can try the following and see if it helps.

(1) In Firefox open a new tab, type or paste 'about:config' in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste 'uniq' and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the 'privacy.file_unique_origin' preference to switch the value from true (secure) to false (insecure)

(4) Restart Firefox

Not sure if this will fix it but it's easy enough to try.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8477 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:29 AM

I have contacted development to let them know there is an issue. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:54 AM

CJ1260,

I tried your fix and it appears to work. Thank you.

Renee I don't know if this is an issue with rootsmagic or just my version of Firefox.

Dick

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8477 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

I hadn't heard back from development but noticed the website was now appearing. I'm figuring they just forgot to tell me it was resolved. 

Renee
RootsMagic