3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff Schrecker

Geoff Schrecker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

Hi,

I have downloaded some military records which are 20+ pages and want to attach them to the source for citations. At the moment I have to go through one at a time. It would be good if I could select them all and do them in one hit.

Cheers, Geoff

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:18 AM

I have downloaded some military records which are 20+ pages and want to attach them to the source for citations. At the moment I have to go through one at a time. It would be good if I could select them all and do them in one hit.

You can already  bulk load files into RM's Media Gallery with drag and drop. Unfortunately, I find this feature to be of little value in practice because you still have to tag each file individually to each of the various items to which it needs to be linked. I don't know if it will work and I don't think it will, but it would be really neat if the same sort of drag and drop process for multiple files would work for the media scrapbook for an individual Master Source or for an individual Source Details. That would give you the bulk load which you seek.

Another approach for your particular need would be to have the 20+ pages stored in a single file such as in a multi-page PDF file or a multi-page TIF file. However, I don't like those solutions because of the way such files are presented on the Web when I present my RM data in HTML files.

Jerry

#3 Geoff Schrecker

Geoff Schrecker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

You can already  bulk load files into RM's Media Gallery with drag and drop. Unfortunately, I find this feature to be of little value in practice because you still have to tag each file individually to each of the various items to which it needs to be linked. I don't know if it will work and I don't think it will, but it would be really neat if the same sort of drag and drop process for multiple files would work for the media scrapbook for an individual Master Source or for an individual Source Details. That would give you the bulk load which you seek.

Another approach for your particular need would be to have the 20+ pages stored in a single file such as in a multi-page PDF file or a multi-page TIF file. However, I don't like those solutions because of the way such files are presented on the Web when I present my RM data in HTML files.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Drag and drop would be great. The problem with multipage tif and pdf is that the don't display natively within RM. The tif only displays the first page, whereas the pdf opens in another viewer. I guess it's not a big thing, and I certainly wouldn't put it as my top of the list......

Cheers, Geoff

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:20 PM

The tif only displays the first page, whereas the pdf opens in another viewer.

In my experience, very few TIF viewers understand and display multi-page TIF's. Instead, and as you say, they display only the first page. RM is no exception in handling only the first page of TIF files. This makes multi-page TIF's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

I view RM opening files in a different viewer as an advantage not a disadvantage. RM's viewer is not very good. For example, it renders census images in such a grainy fashion that they are essentially illegible. In RM7, the RM viewer runs in a modal window and therefore locks out all the rest of RM while you are viewing an image. This particular problem may be solved in RM8. I'm hoping so. If you "ok" out of the viewer instead of cancelling out of it, RM saves your file instead of just exiting. After a few save cycles, your JPG files become unreadable because JPG is a lossy format. Hence I link nearly all images into RM as files rather than as images so they will open in a viewer outside of RM.

PDF is sort of a special case. I have linked quite a few PDF's into RM, but I'm converting each one to JPG or PNG (sometimes to multiple JPG's or PNG's for multi-page PDF's) so that they will display on my Web site in a very natural way for a user. Browsers do much better with PDF files than they used to do, but I still prefer the way browsers handle JPG's and PNG's to the way they handle PDF's.

Jerry