• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 angiekitz

angiekitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:10 AM

I'm trying to understand why sometimes the Research Notes report will only print a citation's detail and comment once no matter how many facts it's attached to (preferred) and other times it will print for each fact (messy). Does anyone know what the criteria are for the report? Do I need to change my report settings or my data entry style? Thanks in advance!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8528 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:43 AM

I'm trying to find a good test person to look at this with you. If you could open a support ticket and send a backup of your database and a person for me to look at that would be helpful. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:42 AM

I agree that a test case is needed.

I wonder if the problem is that the citation that has been Memorized and Pasted multiple places is truly identical in each of the places. Is it possible that any of the instances were changed after they were pasted, even in a very minor way? If so, they would appear to RM as if they were different citations.

Jerry

#4 angiekitz

angiekitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the response : ) I submitted the file.

I think it may come down to the fact type. One citation is attached to 2 shared residences and a birth fact and only shows up once in the Research Notes report. The conversion certificate is attached to a religion fact and a new Hebrew name fact and that citation shows up twice. So maybe shared facts are treated differently than individual facts?

Also, I've typically transcribed the source text into the source details and put my analysis in the comments and then copied and pasted that citation to all the relevant facts so if the Research Notes report is going to pull the source details for every fact, it's going to be a lot of duplicate text and I need to change how I enter the information.

I can work with it either way, but if I know what the report is pulling, I can be strategic with the way I enter my source details.

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

If you do a research note, as I have by person.  Then you should not have duplicate facts.  Or are you pulling all research notes for your whole database?  I have taken a FGS sheet for a family and copied only the source list and then compare it to the Research Notes report for the same person.  One way to test how your notes look and if that is the way you want them.  I have not done those reports with the last updates but did a lot in 2013 -2015  just to make sure I have covered all research possibilities.

I like the research notes, hard copy,  to take with me to a repository, which includes my ON files on the same person,  when I am working on that one line of surname.  I only take my Kindle with RM on it for information.  Do not update that file on Kindle only on the PC at home so do not have a mess between different copies of RM database. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0