14 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

Is it possible to print the Source Text and Source Comments found under the Master text tab in a Free Form source in a Narrative Report? If so, how is it done?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

The answer is no. You can only print Source Text and Source Comments in a Narrative report if the data is entered into Source Details rather than in Master Source.

The answer is the same whether you are using Free Form Source Templates or RM's built-in Source Templates or Source Templates of your own design.

Jerry

#3 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

So what would the purpose be of having a Source Text and Source Comments fields if they can't be printed in a Narrative Report?

Also does anyone know if this capability might be included in RootsMagic 8?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:01 AM

So what would the purpose be of having a Source Text and Source Comments fields if they can't be printed in a Narrative Report?

Also does anyone know if this capability might be included in RootsMagic 8?

I don't know the answer to either question.

I suspect that the inability to print the Source Text and Source Comments fields in narrative reports is related to a particular  and traditional view of the proper usage of RM's Master Source fields and RM's Place Details fields. This is the traditional view that a book is a source and a page within the book is a citation. Under this traditional view, it perhaps makes not much sense to print the same Source Text and Source Comments with every citation that may reference many different pages of that book. Of course, this vision of sources vs. citations is at the root of many source lumping vs. source splitting controversies where things like census records, birth records, death records, and the like have to be mapped to this model whether model is a good fit or not.

I personally think all four "sourcing notes" should be printable with citations in narrative reports - the text and comments from the Master Source and the text and the comments from the Source Details. I also think that each of the four notes should be associated with Source Template variables that you can use to help construct footnote sentences. They shouldn't simply be report options. I have the same comment about the fact note. There is no [Note] variable in the Sentence Template language. All you can do is enable or disable the note for every single fact, and if included the note always goes at the end of the fact. So the sentence templates needs a [Note] variable and a print/don't print option for the [Note] variable. Source templates need [Source text], [Source comment], [Citation text], and [Citation comment] variables and a print/don't print option for each of the four variables.

Jerry

#5 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for your insight.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8768 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

The Master Source Text and Comments can be printed in a Source List. You can print that separately if you wanted to show that to others. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:29 PM

Here's my suggestion:

Options for narrative report printing should include:

Footnotes and Endnotes:

[] include Detail tab: Research Notes and Comments

Bibliography:

[] include Master tab: Source Text and Source Comments

The narrative reports I'm producing as Publisher books are runniing 300-600 pages. I've thought about including the notes & comments, but haven't tried, because I think the page length of my books would be overwhelming to my readers. But optionally printed? I'd like that.

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:42 PM

Those items print in the Narrative report and I have had them print in a full print out of FGS and Individual summary.   Choose Descendants /  NSGQ (modified register)

Look at Source Settings

Citation Type

choose one of the three

Options 

Check the first four and they will print. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

The problem is that there are no options to print the source text and comments in a Narrative report. You can only print the citation text and comments.

Jerry

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:39 PM

Jerry, I never fill that Source section part in.  In the Research notes, I usually will say abstracted this information.   Or will do

The record says,  "[information written as it is the original information]." 

Then I know it was the real information. I use the comment section part of this screen for my own comments.  In my mind, the source information is well documented on the first screen for footnotes and Bio.  so don't need to repeat that information.  Probably will try it sometime, but not now.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:16 AM

My issue is that I do fill in the notes in the Master Source section and there is then very little you can do with the information in RM. - like print the notes with citations. I think you need equal access to the notes in the Master Source section and the notes in the Source Details. I think the best solution for printing all the sourcing notes in narrative reports is note variables in Source Templates, just like Sentence Templates for facts need a [Note] variable.

Jerry

#12 PatsyD

PatsyD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

Dan and Jerry, I agree with both of you. I really would like more optional functionality around the source text and source comments. I would like to print all the sources with their text and comments, by individual, either in the Individual Summary or Family Group Sheet.

#13 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:02 AM

My response to this limitation on Source and Citation details has been to add four variables in all my Source Templates, exactly duplicating the RootMagic fields but includable in footnotes and narrative reports.  It rankles somewhat that I have to do what Jerry convincingly argues should be an inbuilt RM capability, but what the heck.

John.

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

My response to this limitation on Source and Citation details has been to add four variables in all my Source Templates, exactly duplicating the RootMagic fields but includable in footnotes and narrative reports.  It rankles somewhat that I have to do what Jerry convincingly argues should be an inbuilt RM capability, but what the heck.

That's a rather brilliant idea. I wish I had thought of it a long time ago.

My first thought on seeing this idea was that I could easily add four such variables to my templates, but then I would need to populate the data into the variables. The data is already in my database in RM's four sourcing note fields, so I could copy it from where it is to where it needs to be with an SQLite script. It would be a tricky script. RM's four source notes are columns in the database, two columns in SourceTable and two columns in CitationTable. But all the source template variables are stored in a two big XML fields, one in a column in SourceTable and one in a column in CitationTable. Processing XML fields is a difficult programming problem using only SQL. It's a solvable problem, but it's difficult. Much better would be if RM simply supported [Note] variables in all cases.

Jerry

#15 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:06 AM

If anyone implements my approach remember that Citation Details in RootsMagic allows for multi-paragraph text with embedded carriage-returns, whereas source and citation template fields only allow fo single-line text fields.

I have a UI script (Automator on a Mac) that runs against RootsMagic to transfer data from Citation Details to my user-added field of that name, and I got caught out early on with only getting the first paragraph of text in Citation Details coming across.