• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NorasMom45

NorasMom45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:47 PM

Is there a way, anywhere, to print a chart containing everybody for a given number of generations?  My mother is asking for one that will include her various siblings, their children, and spouses, as well as that information for her parents and grandparents and then as far back as is practical. 

I've tried playing around with various programs to see if I can insert boxes and lines where necessary to add the "extra" people, but it hasn't worked out.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:47 AM

The closest to that is typically called an "hourglass" chart, starting from a single root person. It is a combination of a Descendants chart and a Pedigree chart, both starting from the same person. In RM, it's available as a choice in Wallcharts. If your mother is the root person, I don't think it includes her siblings. If you set her mother as the root, it will show her siblings but not her paternal line. While you can use the RM Chart Editor to try to combine two charts, it's pretty tricky and volatile. It might be better to simply have a second chart to show the people that you wish were in the hourglass or do a Descendants chart from your mother and a Pedigree chart from you.

If the RM chart does not suit you, do an Internet search for "genealogical hourglass" or "family tree hourglass" and see if there is some service or software that provides a more suitable version. You can export a GEDCOM of your desired people to send or import into the system.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 RDHansen

RDHansen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:14 AM

Years ago, Family Tree Maker 2006 had a chart called “All in One Tree”, it is no longer an option and I do not know of any programs available that provide it. If anyone does I too would be interested in knowing. ........RDHansen

#4 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

Family Historian 6.2 offers a chart of "all ancestors and relatives" which might come closer to what you want than an ordinary hourglass chart.

#5 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:11 AM

I'm not sure if this would be of help but if printing a simple chart of everyone is what you need, then you might want to look at GeneaQuilts (or Trellis) charts. They are charts of basically everyone that is connected in the database.

RM is not capable of printing these but you can export the RM data to other programs that can.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:12 AM

Family Historian 6.2 offers a chart of "all ancestors and relatives" which might come closer to what you want than an ordinary hourglass chart.

Robert beat me too it, I often call it the Ancestry view as it's the closest to what Ancestry offer, it can be scaled, dragged about and edit can be made.

All in all I find it an  extremely useful view and something I hope will be part of RM8.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

Gramps, with the free add on, Network Chart  - has a fair stab at an 'everybody chart' which can be saved in .svg format to scroll around in a browser or .pdf. I don't think you can edit anything and its not anywhere  near as nice as the 'Ancestry view' Robert & Vyger mention but as its free you could have a play to see if it works for you.

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

I think I had posted this note sometime in 2011.  It is sort of related to the above comments and makes interesting Wall Charts and other reports.  In all honesty, some of the wall charts are so large that it is not practical to print them on 8 1/2 x 11 paper..

Suppose you would like a report showing color coded early deaths in your family tree.  For some arbitrary reason, you want to highlight deaths occurring from age 30 to 39.  It takes far less time to try this technique than to document how to do it.

1] Go to Tools and select Color code people

2] Select Clear all colors and click OK.  WARNING!  Note that those users who have created a permanent complex color coding scheme will want to do this on a copy of their permanent data base. 

3] Go to Tools and select Color code people,  Keep the default color Red or change it as desired

4] Click on People selected from list, click OK

5] Click on Mark group

6] Click on Select people by data fields

7] Select field death

8] In the second block, select age

9] In the 3rd block, select greater than or equal

10] In the 4th block, enter 30 to establish the lower limit

11] On the next line keep and in the leftmost block

12] Again Select field death

13] Again select age

14] Select less than or equal

15] Enter 39 to establish the upper limit

16] Click OK  RootsMagic will display the count of marked individuals

17] Try a pedigree report.  Any ancestors with a death age from 30 to 39 will be color coded Red.

18] Try a narrative report for ancestors.  Again ancestors with early deaths will be will be color coded Red.

19] Try a narrative report for ancestors and children.  Early deaths of aunts and uncles at each generation will be colored Red in addition to direct ancestors.

20] Try a wall chart showing multiple generations. Early deaths will be will be color coded Red.

After trying the above steps, it is possible to make a new selection for deaths occurring from age 40 to 59 or other non-overlapping age ranges.  Remember to change the color from Red.  I have not tried more than two colors.