7 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

I have a number of ancestors on my French Canadian line whose names include special characters (c with a circumflex, accented e's and a's, etc.).

Currently using Windows 10 and RMG 7,6.1.0, I've been creating a website in RMG 6 style.  I have been periodically updating the website every few months as I add and correct entries.

Recently, the special characters do not show up.  They all have turned into the question mark within a diamond symbol.  I'm seeing the identical problem on every web browser I've used (Chrome, Opera, Firefox, IE), so the problem is with either the program or Win 10, since I have no real means of testing against OS (all I have in Win 10).

Recently, there is a new problem.  When I create new files for the website, I get nothing.  No Names index, no Pedigree chart.  It is completely failing to show up when I attempt to browse from my hard drive.

What am I doing wrong?  Is this no longer a working feature?

#2 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

This thread may answer the 'blank page' part of your question:-

http://forums.rootsm...rating-website/

#3 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:07 AM

It does, though it's a bit frustrating (not RMG's fault).  Does it mean that we've lost the ability to preview a web page, and must upload it to find out if it works?

And I still have no idea why special characters are being lost.

As one how posts here sporadically, I don't know if there is a way to include an attachment to show the problem.

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:58 AM

It does, though it's a bit frustrating (not RMG's fault).  Does it mean that we've lost the ability to preview a web page, and must upload it to find out if it works?

I don't use RM's website option but I suspect the pre RM6 - plain HTML - website will work OK from hard drive, later version won't because of Java Script.

Personally I prefer website options from other software than RM and it may be worth you looking around to see if there is something that suits but is plain HTML? or accept you have to trial RM website online?  Not forgetting RM8 is on the way, perhaps there will be new alternatives  worth considering?

Hopefully somebody else can point you towards a solution for special characters.

#5 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

>>I suspect the pre RM6 - plain HTML - website will work OK from hard drive, 

Yes, it will, but I'm trying to create it in the latter one, so testing the old one tells me nothing practical about it.

>>Personally I prefer website options from other software than RM and it may be worth you looking around to see if there is something that suits but is plain HTML? 

I have neither the time, money, nor expertise to do so. 

>>or accept you have to trial RM website online?

I like RMG, but uploading a new set of files to my website is an investment of time, and my experience has been that I'll go through at least one, and as many as four beta tests before getting it right, and having to upload each test is not worth the time.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:45 PM

Recently, the special characters do not show up.  They all have turned into the question mark within a diamond symbol.  I'm seeing the identical problem on every web browser I've used (Chrome, Opera, Firefox, IE), so the problem is with either the program or Win 10, since I have no real means of testing against OS (all I have in Win 10).

The question mark within a diamond symbol means the glyphs for those special characters could not be rendered. Is it possible that you've chosen a font that doesn't support those Unicode glyphs? Won't hurt to try setting back to default anyway.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Patrick R

Patrick R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

Yes, I understand what the glyph means, but since I cannot attach an image, I chose to describe it.

And I have not chosen a font at all; it is what it always was, and there was a time when it did work. 

I am not in front of my own computer, but I do not recall being able to set the font when I create the files.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:31 PM

Yes, I understand what the glyph means, but since I cannot attach an image, I chose to describe it.

And I have not chosen a font at all; it is what it always was, and there was a time when it did work. 

I am not in front of my own computer, but I do not recall being able to set the font when I create the files.

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. By "setting back to default"... I meant for you to consider using Ctrl-Shift-U (which completely resets RootsMagic to default settings).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N