Photo

Sources not transfering from Roots Magic to Ancestry Correctly.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 curtisk2

curtisk2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:55 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased Roots magic and decided I'm going to do most of my source creation on Roots Magic as the options are better for when citing a birth record etc.

So once I've cited a birth record and attached it to the fact and go to tree share and accept the changes it pushes the source through to ancestry but with the source title all messed up.

So I then correct the source name on ancestry so it matches the name in Roots Magic manually. However the next time I tree share it will try and tell me that exact source is not in ancestry and that it needs to be updated because of the name difference. (I then do the compare by side and find that Roots Magic is showing the name and it doesn't match the source name that I attually put it down as in Roots Magic. I even went out of tree share and attually went to the source to double check and the name is fine, it's only when I go to the source comparision the name isn't right.

Could do with some help!

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:43 AM

I think it might be a difference it what you are considering the source title. Under List>Source List the titles there are what you named them and not part of the source title that is shared with Ancestry. Once you edit a source it will no longer be considered a match. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 curtisk2

curtisk2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

I think it might be a difference it what you are considering the source title. Under List>Source List the titles there are what you named them and not part of the source title that is shared with Ancestry. Once you edit a source it will no longer be considered a match. 

So are you saying there is no way to get around this?

Because it looks a mess and the source name once tranferred to ancestry is not right, no way I can leave it as that name.

If not the tree share is pointless, cause the whole point is to keep my records up to date and synced.

Are you saying, I'm going to have to just throw out the idea of using tree share and manually sort the sources in both ancestry and roots magic myself?

Thanks

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

I'm just saying look at what the source title is, not the master source title it was named in the Source List for organization. It should show the full footnote, the master source title is not part of it. It all depends on where you are looking. The forums are really bad for posting images. If you put this on Facebook we could take a look at what you are thinking should match.  

Renee
RootsMagic