• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Megang66

Megang66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

I've seen this mentioned in older posts, from older versions of RM, and I'm hoping there's some way to do this that I've just missed.

I've put together a standardized list, if you will, of databases, websites and topics that I want to search for every direct ancestor on my tree. I then want to check off those items as I go. That way, I know I've checked the places where I can typically find good source information, and done it on every person.

I have over 12,000 people in my tree (not all direct ancestors, of course!), so it would be very impractical to have to type this checklist in to each person.

Is there a way to attach the checklist to everyone in my tree, as a to-do item or a research log, so I can check it off as I go?

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

I created To-Do items for all the resources I wanted to check. Then I reuse those To-Do items by transferring them to a Research log for the person. I add all that I want to check on them and then work through them on the Research Log. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Megang66

Megang66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

So then I would have to create a research log for each person?

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

That's one way to do it.  I have a check list for types/events/fact outside of RM in Excel to keep track of what I have for each Direct Line person. I have tried the research log in RM but prefer having it in Excel. Why?  I do not take my database with me while searching in a library or court house.  Paper works better for me. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

I do two things.

• I create dummy facts rather than using RM's To Do list and Research Log. The problem for me is that the To Do list and Research Log are poorly integrated in with the rest of RM. In particular, the To List and Research Log cannot be searched from RM's primary search facilities. They therefore cannot be used for color coding or to make groups, nor can they be accessed in People View nor in Custom Reports. The use of dummy facts resolves all these problems. Dummy facts are user defined facts that are marked not to be included in such things as narrative reports.
  • I create reports of missing data using SQLite. For example, these reports include such things as facts and people without citations and citations without media files.

Jerry

#6 Megang66

Megang66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:21 PM

I do two things.

• I create dummy facts rather than using RM's To Do list and Research Log. The problem for me is that the To Do list and Research Log are poorly integrated in with the rest of RM. In particular, the To List and Research Log cannot be searched from RM's primary search facilities. They therefore cannot be used for color coding or to make groups, nor can they be accessed in People View nor in Custom Reports. The use of dummy facts resolves all these problems. Dummy facts are user defined facts that are marked not to be included in such things as narrative reports.
  • I create reports of missing data using SQLite. For example, these reports include such things as facts and people without citations and citations without media files.

Jerry

I like the idea of using dummy facts. How do you list them? do you call them "vital records to do" and "census to do", or somesuch? I ask because I'm tired of re-tracing my steps when I figure out I'm not setting up my data correctly (eg, not putting media files in folders of the last name or location. STILL trying to fix the broken links on that one!)

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:55 PM

I call them things like *census_todo.  I use the * to put them at the front of the fact list, and also to clearly distinguish them from real facts. I make heavy use of the Description field because the Description field is sort of a short note and because it shows up in People View. I also use the real Note field, but it doesn't show up in People View.

Jerry

#8 Megang66

Megang66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for your help and suggestions, all. When I try to like your responses, I get an error message, so this will have to do!

#9 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:34 AM

I like the idea of using dummy facts. How do you list them? do you call them "vital records to do" and "census to do", or somesuch? I ask because I'm tired of re-tracing my steps when I figure out I'm not setting up my data correctly (eg, not putting media files in folders of the last name or location. STILL trying to fix the broken links on that one!)

strong pertinent filenaming in the first place which should result as pretty unique will serve you better than any folder structure although I use both

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to do items, research log, apply all