• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steck

Steck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

I just bought a new Windows 10 laptop and need to move my software programs and files from my Windows 7 laptop to the new one. Whats the best way of installing RM 7 on my new laptop and then finding/importing my RM files that Ill copy to my new laptop? Thanks.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:40 AM

Download and install RM here - http://www.rootsmagi...d/RootsMagic-7/

On the old computer save a backup with the media option checked to a flash drive. Then on the new computer File>Restore it. The first video below demonstrates it, but was created before the backup with media option was added. The second video demonstrates the rest.

Copying a RootsMagic Database to Another Computer

What's New in RootsMagic 7  
00:59:30 – Backup with Media
    01:00:24 – Restore Backup with Media

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

RM's recommended procedure for transferring media will work and it will be simple. But it will  be extremely slow and it will place all your media files into a single folder on the new computer.

If your media files are all in one folder on the old computer, or if you don't mind them being all in one folder on the new computer, then RM's recommended procedure may be fine. Otherwise, it would be better to use Windows File Explorer to copy your media files and their sub-folder structure to a flash drive from the old computer and repeat the process on the new computer to copy your media files and their sub-folder structure from the flash drive to the new computer. Then use RM's backup without media on the old computer to copy your RM database to a flash drive and use RM's restore on the new computer to copy your RM database from the flash drive to the new computer.

Jerry

#4 Steck

Steck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:35 AM

Thanks to both Renee and Jerry for the responses. I actually don’t have media files linked to people in my RM database, so hopefully that will simplify the transfer. Appreciate your help!