13 replies to this topic

#1 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

I am still running High Sierra (about to upgrade to Mojave) so just speaking theoretically, but has anyone run RM7 on a computer/laptop with Catalina by just keeping a previous OS on a partition on their hard drive and booting with that until the mythical native Mac RM version comes out?

#2 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:44 PM

This would also, I think, work for Genome Mate Pro and other 32 bit applications.

#3 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:52 AM

Create partition:
1. Open the "Disk Utility" app in your utilities folder in your applications folder. 

2. On the left-hand column, click on the hard drive you want to partition (probably just the internal one you're using).
3. Click on the "partition" button icon on the top.
4. In the new window, rename the new partition "Mojave" or whatever you want and change the size to 10 GB or something smallish. Click apply. Done.

You can install different operating systems on different partitions. In System Preferences, you can click on "Startup Disk" to tell it which one to use to start each time. Or just hold down the "option" key when you start the computer/laptop and then choose which one to use to start up.

#4 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:25 PM

Have you done it yet? If so, any problems?

#5 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

Have you done it yet? If so, any problems?

Yes and no.

Yes, I created a partition and installed Mojave on one and Catalina on the other; no problem there; both run fine. RM runs fine on the Mojave partition side.

Problem: Entirely, ahem, "user error": I put RM on my Mojave side (which works fine) but I haven't really used Catalina yet for anything (and inadvertently created a new user on the Catalina side).

#6 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:25 PM

To clarify how it would work, one would need to "start up" in Mojave (either by going to system preferences and changing the startup disk there, or by holding down the option key when starting up and choosing the Mojave partition there). One couldn't work in RM in Mojave AND other programs in Catalina at the same time.

#7 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:14 AM

As far as I can see the only value in dual-booting Catalina (MacOS 10.15) and some earlier version of MacOS, unless you are a developer who needs to test software on multiple setups, would be if you have a need to continue running some native Mac 32-bit applications, not just Wine.apps.  Many users of older versions of MS Office for Mac and some Adobe Apps certainly face this issue. Otherwise, to me, it's a totally pointless exercise which takes up far too much Drive space as well as necessitating duplication of file systems, apps; and so also increasing the demand for multiple MacOS and app updates; plus the complication of backing up two completely separate sets of user data.

A much easier and far simpler option would be to install VirtualBox (free) and create a Windows Virtual Machine to run Windows software natively and create 'Folder Shares' so that both MacOS and Windows can share Hard Drive space. Free 90-day Evaluation (pre-prepared Virtual Machines) for all supported versions of Windows are available from Microsoft and so are ISO downloads for self installs whether or not have a useable Windows Product Key. I have not mentioned Parallels or VMWare because they are commercial products on MacOS and, in my experience, far more difficult to fully uninstall than VirtualBox when/if you want to rid yourself of them.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#8 KathleenL

KathleenL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

I run the regular RM 7 on my Mac with Parallels.  Does that mean updating to Catalina won't affect me?

#9 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

I run the regular RM 7 on my Mac with Parallels.  Does that mean updating to Catalina won't affect me?

Correct, provided your version of Parallels is supported / will work on Catalina.

#10 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:08 PM

As far as I can see the only value in dual-booting Catalina (MacOS 10.15) and some earlier version of MacOS ... would be if you have a need to continue running some native Mac 32-bit applications, not just Wine.apps.

Yes, exactly. Actually, I still have Snow Leopard on another partition which is what gave me the idea (I had a car for 18 years with records from a program that didn't export data or work past 10.6, and also the same thing for a pet records program--the car is gone and one of the two dogs has passed, but the other will be 17 in December and going strong except for the cataracts).

Yes, I have a few 32-bit only applications (RM, Genome Mate Pro, etc.). 

I need to redo my setup (put Catalina on the main/big partition with my user info and Mojave and the legacy apps on the other).

Anyway, just wanted to give Mac users another working option.

#11 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:17 PM

A much easier and far simpler option would be to install VirtualBox (free) and create a Windows Virtual Machine to run Windows software natively and create 'Folder Shares' so that both MacOS and Windows can share Hard Drive space. Free 90-day Evaluation (pre-prepared Virtual Machines) for all supported versions of Windows are available from Microsoft and so are ISO downloads for self installs whether or not have a useable Windows Product Key. I have not mentioned Parallels or VMWare because they are commercial products on MacOS and, in my experience, far more difficult to fully uninstall than VirtualBox when/if you want to rid yourself of them.

I have never used VirtualBox or dual booted with Windows, but I may have to investigate this. thanks

#12 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

I have created a partition for Mojave and 32-bit applications. Works fine. 

Another thought, less recommended, but if someone for whatever reason doesn't want to partition their hard drive (not enough room?) another option would be to create a bootable external hard drive in a USB enclosure and run Mojave with RM and other 32-bit programs off of that (this would run more slowly but would work).

#13 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

It is generally unwise to swim upstream against current software. Even on a mac very old OS versions lack current apple security patches. Best to keep within the 3 last OS versions and keep apps current too. Makes computer life much simpler. Virtualization and dual booting are pretty clunky choices which strain your computer.

The switch to 64 bit apps only in Catalina has been trumpeted to the heavens for years and should be no surprise to anyone. Just stay with Mojave for a few months while the catalina bugs settle out and find 64 bit app alternatives. as needed.

#14 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

It is generally unwise to swim upstream against current software. Even on a mac very old OS versions lack current apple security patches. Best to keep within the 3 last OS versions and keep apps current too. Makes computer life much simpler. Virtualization and dual booting are pretty clunky choices which strain your computer.

The switch to 64 bit apps only in Catalina has been trumpeted to the heavens for years and should be no surprise to anyone. Just stay with Mojave for a few months while the catalina bugs settle out and find 64 bit app alternatives. as needed.

As a general rule, yes, but as I said, I kept Snow Leopard around for two programs that had a decade or two of data I needed that couldn't export the data something newer.
Partitioning now for Catalina lets me run the current OS now while keeping Mojave running for the legacy 32-bit ones.