• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hubby

hubby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

We are on RootsMagic 7 and "narrative reports" neither show step-children nor two sets of parents. Hoping RootsMagic 8 when it finally arrives my have solved this problem. I'm not going hold my breath as I'm 75 yrs old and need all all the breath I can get 

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

In a similar vein, something that's just important if not more important to me is to show spouses of spouses and half siblings in Descendant Narrative reports. Both my grandfathers became widowers as very young men with very small children, and both of them remarried and had additional children with their second wife. So both my parents have half siblings. Narrative reports that come down my grandfathers' lines are fine, but narrative reports that come down my grandmothers' lines seem very incomplete. RM's Descendant Narrative reports are completely correct in a narrow technical sense, but they fail to capture some of my family history in a meaningful way.

Jerry

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

Well, looks like I did something right.  My grandson has his biological parents and court appointed guardians as parents.  They both show up in the Narrative report, in individual summary and family Group Sheet.  I have the two sets of parents with the fact Parents, the Relationship to father for Court order Guardian, as Guardian and Relationship to mother, as Guardian and both with Proof: Proven .  His parents have Relationship to father as Birth and Mother as Birth and both Proof: proven.  So I think when I set these up I followed directions in the Help file and that would have been back in 1990, when it happened.  So it is working for me.

Just checked the Descendant report and it showed in both. BUT his guardians are also family members.  So maybe that is why mine are showing. 

Nettie

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0