• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mwoolery

mwoolery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:57 PM

When i create a website, there is no data visible.  I see the file structure, and things like title and introduction are filled in, but when i go to names or pedigrees, nothing shows up.  If I browse through the data folder, i do see some data in there - example surnames.xml contains data.  I have the same issue whether i pick xml or static html website. 

I've tried a few different browsers.   I've also tried generating from several RM files.   

Windows 10, latest version of RM7

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:20 PM

This topic is well-documented in these forums.

This is not a problem with RM or Windows. It is because most browsers have incorporated features to prevent Javascript (a common webpage programming language) from being run on a local hard drive. The concern is that some malware have used this technique to cause harm.

There are ways to get Chrome, and probably many other browsers, to display that code. Try searching for something like "run Javascript from local hard drive" for more info.

I'm a dedicated user of RM and these forums, but I do not post my research online, so I haven't been affected by this issue.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

Rest assured it's there.
Nowadays, all browsers have default security features that prevent execution of javascript on your local host machine to protect against malicious attack/compromise.
Go ahead and just upload the entire thing to your web host -or- use the MyRootsMagic (Publish online) feature to become hosted for free by Rootsmagic Inc. and see the result(s).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 mwoolery

mwoolery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the response. That makes sense, though i would expect the static html page export to render properly.  I'll give that a shot on an external web server..

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

That makes sense, though i would expect the static html page export to render properly.

The menu choice for <RootsMagic 6 style> creates XML/Javascript-based pages. The only static HTML in them... you can currently see displayed locally on your machine with any browser.
The menu choice for <Pre-RootsMagic 6 style> creates static HTML files that you can view completely on your local machine with any browser.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

You can set up a local web server at 127.0.0.1 to test.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 mwoolery

mwoolery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

Yep, I set up a web server and confirmed it is working. Thanks everyone who replied.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

One thing that's a bit puzzling about this thread is that I thought Chrome was the only browser with the problem, and that therefore you could test locally simply by using a different browser. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have used this workaround in the fairly recent past. Is it truly the case these days that other browsers than Chrome also cannot open Web pages  locally that have Javascript?

Jerry

#9 mwoolery

mwoolery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

Before posting I had tried a couple browsers, including Chrome and ie. So it looks like this is pretty standard now. I swear it happened with my pre-rm7 export as well, which didn't make alot of sense. Maybe I'll try that one again.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:08 PM

My quick check confirms Chrome and IE do not render the Name index and Pedigree as intended (even with IE being told to "Allow" local scripts) while Edge and Firefox do work.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

I run pretty recent versions of browsers.

My latest:

EdgeDEV 79.0.279.0
Firefox 69.0.2
Opera 60 – R3
No Chrome For Me ;-)

By default, do not show the data portion of RootsMagic 6 style local websites

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

I tried my browsers (Chrome, IE, Edge & FF) on a JS website on my hard drive although not produced by RM, only FireFox (69.0.2 64 bit)  worked, I don't remember changing any of its settings but I guess its possible.

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

Maybe that's a sign of things to come.

Edge works for me: Microsoft Edge 44.18362.387.0

As did Firefox when I previously posted but not now after an update: 69.0.2 (64-bit) - I don't know the prev version and I rarely use it so it could have been several updates back.