• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nthiex

nthiex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

I purchased and downloaded RootsMagic yesterday and began the download of my Ancestry Tree.  The tree downloaded but the media hung up.  It locked up my computer and I couldn't figure out a way except to force a shut down of my computer.  (Had to use the power off button.)

Today, I'm trying again.  My Antivirus is telling me that I have a threat Gen:Variant Application.MAC.SpyAgent.1.  In Finder the file is Komros Anti Malwar & Adware.  Can I delete this file?  Anyone know what it is?  Was it embedded in some of my Media?

Thanks for any help.

Thiex

#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

Short answer: Yes.

#3 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

Any adware can and should be deleted. 

#4 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

Longer answer after digging deeper;

http://macgenius.co/app/Adware-Removal-Remove-Malware-Protect-Browser/1104972447

https://www.quora.co...or-Mac-any-good

“It’s unnecessary.

macOS has built-in protection from malware. macOS is a multi-user Unix-based operating system with strong security and privacy protections designed into the system from the lowest levels up, rather than as an afterthought as with some other mainstream operating systems.”

Read this;

https://support.appl.../en-us/HT202491

#5 nthiex

nthiex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:27 PM

So, I'm ignoring the virus and added it to my exceptions.  Now RootsMagic won't let me login.  AND won't send me a new password.  Maybe they have a three times and lock you out or something.  At this point, I'm probably stuck until Monday when their support office opens up again.  I'm a bit frustrated with my first attempt with this software.  Is there something better for Macs?  

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

1. google your malware by name and see what info you get on risks and removal.

2.what antivirus software do you have on. your mac? None is currently needed due to the superior OS and most cause weird problems and false positives. Malwarebytes seems to have no bad effects and lets you do manual scans in the free version. You can also get serious conflicts if a vpn like PIA is installed.

3. next lockup try the force quit command Command-Option-Escape which lets you kill individual programs that are not responding.

#7 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

Is there something better for Macs?  

We've been impatiently awaiting the long promised useable native Mac version (though many have stopped waiting, I'm afraid)--though it is for real this time due out "this year" so soon, they say, for reals.

There are pros and cons to every program. It would help if you identified your needs and wants from a program.

RM is great for many things (syncing with Ancestry and FamilySearch, sourcing, etc.). Heredis has a beautiful native Mac program that has since surpassed RM on sourcing and is more forgiving for those of us using historical place names. Reunion is probably the most popular native Mac program, and I love it for many things (unsurpassed for charting capabilities, etc) but indifferent at best towards common GEDCOM conventions (many can be fixed with customization but not all), insufficient sourcing (again, much can be fixed with customization), but it's inability to incorporate shared events (adding witnesses, et al. to events) has me decided to go for something more "serious." 

#8 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Download and run the maintenance scripts for Onyx for the right OS version for what you have. I don't think it's anti-virus per se, but very helpful nonetheless.

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

If you are still fiddling with adware and an antivirus: download malwarebytes and run a scan to remove adware (free and no issues).

Check how to uninstall your antivirus program. Most have an uninstaller in the menu. Appcleaner and Cleanmymac x can remove applications pretty completely and easyfind will point out any leftovers. Refugees from Windows often assume they are in mortal peril without anti-malware software but macs are still generally secure and most programs cause serious problems.

Onyx is a less than intuitive free program and tyros can get in a lot of trouble if the wrong button is pushed. CMMX is much safe IF you review what it offers to delete. Delete in haste...Repent in Leisure.