4 replies to this topic

#1 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:26 PM

It would greatly help me if I could copy a fact/event and paste it to another person.  I'd like it to include the attached sources as well.

This could be handled two ways:

1: Copy Paste in the same manner as the Memorized Source citation.

2: Select people from a list to copy the item in the manner of sharing a fact.

There are many times that just sharing a fact is not satisfactory.  I do many Swedish household surveys.  Family members are born or die or leave or return sometimes many times during the time period covered by the book.

I'd like to copy the fact then edit it for each family member to indicate what time period they were there.

Thank you

Bev

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

This wish has been made many, many times in the past. It will be interesting to see if it or something like it shows up in RM8 or not.

I certainly agree that copying a fact is NOT the same as sharing a fact. I think that both of your suggested methods of specifying the people to receive the copied fact are needed. Your #1 method is needed for simple situations. Your #2 method would become a very powerful way to bulk add facts to RM. For example, you could bulk add facts that would provide a similar functionality to TMG's flags. You can already add facts that provide a similar functionality to TMG's flags, but with RM7 you have to add the facts one person at a time because there is no bulk add and you have to add the information for the facts in their entirety each time because there  is no copy fact function.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

RM Inc has been characteristically unresponsive to this age-old wish, even after I demonstrated a core method using SQLite over 8 years ago.https://sqlitetoolsf...-fact-to-group/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 B Synnerlig

B Synnerlig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:06 AM

It would greatly help me if I could copy a fact/event and paste it to another person.  I'd like it to include the attached sources as well.

This could be handled two ways:

1: Copy Paste in the same manner as the Memorized Source citation.

2: Select people from a list to copy the item in the manner of sharing a fact.

There are many times that just sharing a fact is not satisfactory.  I do many Swedish household surveys.  Family members are born or die or leave or return sometimes many times during the time period covered by the book.

I'd like to copy the fact then edit it for each family member to indicate what time period they were there.

Thank you

Bev

I second that! 

I've recently migrated from FTM and I've realized the great potential of RM. I'm currently re-adding all my sources and citations and of course I've got a lot of those household examination records ("Husförhörslängder" ) which can be thought of like census records that  might span up to 10 years. I haven't yet figured out the best practice how to add a Husförhörslängd  into RM. It looks weird to add them in the same way as a census record which is more like a "instant snap shot". The benefit of using a shared event is obvious due to less work. How do you Swedish guys actually solve this?  What if there was a way to override the shared fact on a individual level? Does that make any sense?

Cheers!

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

For any 'Event' having a time span, enter a date range, e.g., date1-date2.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Facts, copy/paste