• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

I am doing a lot of descendancy research in Family Search and then importing the information and sources into RM.  While it would be nice to import all the sources and keep the tags in one fell swoop, sometimes sources are added to FS after I have imported all the sources.  While RM tells me there are new sources, it won't show me which ones are new in the source windows after I have added them in FS.  It would be great when looking at the source window to see which ones are new and not already in RM.  This would be wonderful since in some cases I have over 30 or so sources and many have the exact same name.  Being able to differentiate which ones I don't already have downloaded would be a great time saver.  Using a different color like red or yellow would be nice.  How does one go about making a request for adding such a feature?

Is there anyone else doing descendancy research that would also find this useful? or is there another way? Thanks.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:15 AM

The way sources are handled between RootsMagic and FamilySearch are vastly different. FamilySearch doesn't have the concept of reusing a master source and having citations branching from it like RootsMagic. This makes if very difficult to do any matching between sources. If there was a standard in handling sources then maybe something could be done, like you see on the Share Data tab.

The best way to identify if changes have been made after viewing the person, is to look on the Changes tab. It lists the dates of changes in chronological order. Look for "Source Attached" and "Couple Source Attached" for changes. It will help you identify which ones you need to look at on the Sources tab. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

Thank you for your help and explanation.  I just figured that if RM can detect that there are new sources (yellow light bulb) there must be a way to tell which ones are new and which are old, or which ones are not in RM.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:38 AM

Maybe FamilySearch will give us that capability in the future. Right now there is a separate FamilySearch Hinting API and FT API. That's partly why they are in separate areas of the program. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feature