Jump to content


Photo

GitHub

GitHub

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:12 AM

I am noticing a new issue (or at least I think it is) in the last few days.

 

When I try to use WebSearch to launch a search in FamilySearch a login screen pops up wanting me to sign into something called "GitHub". I searched and found this is some sort of new subsidiary of Microsoft.

 

I have no intention of joining "Github". Is this a bug or is it something new sanctioned by RootsMagic?

 

By the way, if I use my browser to reach FamilySearch independent of RootsMagic it works fine and no requirement to use "GitHub" pops up.

 

Can someone fill me in please.

 

Thanks

Rick

 

Forgot to  mention - no other platforms thru WebSearch seem to be affected, only FamilySearch


RickL


#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

    Advanced Member

  • Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

FamilySearch no longer supports the embedded IE browser component inside RM. It was giving a 403 error message before so I'm not sure why it's now giving us the GitHub login screen. I reported that to development. In version 7.6.1 the external browser option needs to be used with FamilySearch. I checked and that is still working. 


Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

FamilySearch no longer supports the embedded IE browser component inside RM. It was giving a 403 error message before so I'm not sure why it's now giving us the GitHub login screen. I reported that to development. In version 7.6.1 the external browser option needs to be used with FamilySearch. I checked and that is still working. 

Renee,

Oh-Ok, at least we know where the issue originated. Now that you mention it I did see the 403 error a few times and then the GitHub login screen started popping up. I tried WebSearch using the standard search provider with "use external browser" checked and it acted like a shortcut taking me to Family Search. However, the search fields were not auto populated. I then tried creating a custom search provider for FamilySearch with "use external browser' checked and it worked fine.

Thanks for the info

Rick


RickL