2 replies to this topic

#1 sunriver61

sunriver61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:33 AM

Problem:  

D/L an Ancestry.com database to RM7.6.1.0 to create a brand new tree from the online database.

The very first entry I go to look at isn't in the Index!   At this point, I'm about ready to shove a newly purchased product back into the nether as these genealogy software companies just can't seem to get it right.  This was the very reason I bailed from FTM after just two weeks was their sync issues. (however... this is not a sync issue but a programming/development issue)

In looking at the tree where the missing person's son IS listed in the Index, I find the father to be listed.  In the tree.  Not in the Index.

There are many expletives that are rampaging through my brain right about now....

The person in question has only one name (that's what they did back then), so I think about if the program is just screwed up enough not to pick up a Given name instead of a Surname.

And sure enough - the program ISN'T that smart.

Here's a hint to the developers, start your search on the Index from a concatenated list and have the search work it's way down instead of only searching in one field.

Seriously...

Rant over.

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:42 AM

Did you check the index for the entries of people with missing surnames? RootsMagic, like every other genealogical program, would surely be making unwarranted -- and unwanted -- assumptions by assigning surnames automatically.

The father probably showed up on the pedigree screen as well.

I grant that single names are a problem; there are a few Native Americans in my wife's tree and I've entered their names as surnames. There may be other and better ways of dealing with those names, but I wouldn't expect much help or consistency from Ancestry trees in that regard.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

Check how their name is entered on Ancestry. There are separate fields for First and Middle Name, Last Name, and Suffix. It will come into RootsMagic as those fields are entered on Ancestry. If the person only has a given name then type a comma (,) before the name in the index and they should be listed there. 

Renee
RootsMagic