• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Puddleduck

Puddleduck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

This is probably an easy fix but I have searched the help and also tried a few obvious things in vain but when trying to add a narrative descendant genealogy to my "book" the events for the lead person are in a very odd order. It goes from my earliest proven ancestor's death to his abode and then his marriage. 

I have the "How to get the most ..." book on order but it will take a while to arrive. I know i could get a digital download but I really want to have the book in front of me as I make changes so I can add "post it notes" for myself as I solve problems and issues. Sorry I am a bit old fashioned like that :)

Many thanks.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

The order of events is:
1. Individual, in order of Sort Date
2. Family (Marriage, Divorce, Census (fam), Residence (fam),...) in order of Sort Date.

You cannot override that sequence. It has been long requested that greater user control be provided.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Puddleduck

Puddleduck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

Thank you TomH, I thought it was me being particularly stupid (not that unusual of course).

When I have done as much as i can within RootsMagic I will export the book and continue to edit using a word processor.

It's a bit of a nuisance but at least there is a work round. I certainly don't want to start the meat of my book with a sentence like "John Smith was buried on 1st May 1400" !!!! The first date I have is a marriage in 1659 and I now understand why it is listed after the burial. 

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

The way RM handles individual facts such as birth, death, and burial in reports vs. the way it handles couple facts such as marriage and divorce is more or less standard in narrative reports for genealogy. That doesn't mean it's always the preferred way that it be done, but RM isn't way out in left field.

As for myself, I like to have marriage and divorce facts listed in timeline order in narrative reports. Therefore I use RM's shared fact facility to share the marriage and divorce facts with the principals to the marriage and divorce. This may sound strange because the marriage and divorce facts are already associated with the couple. But it has a salutary effect on my narrative reports.

RM's narrative reports have an "individual section" for each person and a "family section" each person. In the NGSQ format (modified register format) and in the NEHGS format (register format) the "family section" of the report includes family facts such as marriage and divorce in addition to a list of children. The inclusion of the marriage and divorce facts in the "family section" along with me forcing the same facts into the "individual section" results in a duplication of the facts. I use white space to separate the "individual section" from the "family section" so the effect of the duplication is not actually so bad. Also, I include a lot more information about the marriage and divorce in the "family section" than I do in in the "individual section".

For the purposes of composing this message, I tried telling RM not to include the marriage fact in narrative reports in hopes that it might suppress the main marriage fact in the "family section" of the report while still displaying the shared version of the marriage fact in the "individual section" of the report. But alas, doing so suppressed the marriage fact both places. Essentially, RM supports lots of options for when to include or not include facts, but the roles for those facts don't have such options. Instead, roles inherit their options from their respective owning facts. I hadn't really thought about this before, but if RM's shared facts are to be a really robust and useful feature of the product moving forward, then roles need all the same include/exclude options as do the main facts.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

... if RM's shared facts are to be a really robust and useful feature of the product moving forward, then roles need all the same include/exclude options as do the main facts.

Jerry

Good point. Will we see any improvement in shared events?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Puddleduck

Puddleduck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:07 AM

Although I have used RM for a few years I had only used the charts and not the publisher facility so it's a bit of a steep learning curve for me. I am hoping the "How To" book arrives before the date it is due so I can get some tips and hints on how to do things better.

Because of recent events within my wider family I thought I needed to get my research in print as if I wait far this or that or the other it will never be published so I have set a deadline and know I can always publish a supplement, new edition or just an annual update as time goes by. It is just too tempting to wait for the 1921 census release but after that I will wait for the next thing and so on.....

All my Grandfather's work and letters on the family history were thrown out by my father and I don't want the hours I have spent on attempting to redo his work wasted....... also I have been told some tales and stories and want to include those along with how far I have got in proving or disproving the stories. Several members of the family have either dedicated biographies or entries in biographical dictionaries but I have not found anything that pulls it all together in the context of the wider family which I consider very important. If it wasn't for the agricultural labourer's wife (who may not feature in the records very much) there would have been starvation ...... likewise for the laundry maid, if not for her the "big man" would have stunk and scratched more than he actually did. 

#7 Puddleduck

Puddleduck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:09 AM

The way RM handles individual facts such as birth, death, and burial in reports vs. the way it handles couple facts such as marriage and divorce is more or less standard in narrative reports for genealogy. That doesn't mean it's always the preferred way that it be done, but RM isn't way out in left field.

As for myself, I like to have marriage and divorce facts listed in timeline order in narrative reports. Therefore I use RM's shared fact facility to share the marriage and divorce facts with the principals to the marriage and divorce. This may sound strange because the marriage and divorce facts are already associated with the couple. But it has a salutary effect on my narrative reports.

<snip>

Jerry

Thanks for that idea Jerry, something I had not thought about but would be worth me investigating as another work round :)

Even if one could edit the narrative reports it would be a help :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: publishing