8 replies to this topic

#1 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

I'm not sure about the title but I have been approached to begin work on a genealogical tree (not mine). Some of the requirements from the requester are:

1. All data must be available to the requestor for viewing and eventual update. (not a concurrent collaboration question)

2. The requestor has not finally decided on the software to be eventually used.

My question is if we consider all the possibilities for sharing trees, not concurrently, which ones might work ok?

Gedcom xfer,

Ancestry Tree Share

FamilyTree sharing.

Dropbax

Etc.

Initially the new tree would be posted for the requestor viewing only.

If I start using RM7 and the requestor eventually chooses say LegacyFamilyTree what is the subset of items/events/facts in RM that I could use to create the database and not have data issues later when sharing with the requestor?

An example would be the quality of the source. RM uses ESMs method, LegacyFamilyTree uses the old gedcom standard, as does Famliytreemaker. If we share/collaborate/update the same database will this type of data be corrupted?

Also I would rule out using any new fact types since other software packages will probably not know how to deal with them.

I guess my real question here is: is there anyway to share data across platforms without the potential loss or corruption of data?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:04 AM

My simple answer is no. The more complex one is only if you use the lowest common denominator set of features which will be very restrictive. I think that means using Ancestry or FamilySearch Family Tree as your master and couple pc software only for the purpose of analysis and reporting.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 06:54 AM

Tom,

Thanks for the response. It was what I expected but I thought maybe someone had come up with a solution. Back to the drawing board or maybe just bow out altogether.

I've looked at a 2000 proposal for Gedcom 5.5.6 and later a Gedcom X and neither seems to offer a great solution for data sharing.

I'm very much a PC person, not to leave out Macs of course, but I like to have complete and total control of my data.

Thanks again.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:09 AM

I agree with Tom's answer. The goal you seek to achieve is virtually impossible to achieve in any practical manner.

I would only add that the least common denominator is really limited. You will have a limited number of fact types in the least common denominator, and you may not even have fact sources or fact notes. Ancestry is probably better as your master than Family Tree simply because other people can edit your people in Family Tree.

Jerry

#5 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:12 AM

I was pointed to this site when talking about exchanging data between programmes in another thread -

https://github.com/OpenGenOrg/rosetta    unfortunately there does not seem to be any recent progress.

#6 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Trebor22 and Jerry,

I started with a genealogy program in the mid 1980's. I switched to The Master Genealogist about 1993. In late 2014 I needed to find a replacement to TMG and found RM to be the best choice.

I'll have to say the conversion was not pleasant at all. Many Many changes to correct export/import issues and then some of the features in TMG were not supported by any other program, and many are still unsupported, but I got through it.

With the stagnation of GEDOM and the introduction of facilities like Ancestry and Familysearch will we see any standard that can work for the genealogical community? Contrary to what the vendors may think I would be buying and using multiple programs to provide the functions that I want. One for data entry, one for charting, another for reports, etc but that would require an easy error free way to exchange data.

Trebor22 I agree I'm not sure Rosetta will provide any relief in the short term.

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:42 AM

Dick;  Re macs and data control.

Mac users have the same or better control over their data than pcs. Data files are just data and stored in more obvious places and a safer environment (malware resistant).

Like you I was dismayed to find gedcom transfer among programs so fraught with issues. People comment like data exchange is easy and painless but the reality is the reverse. Customers with large geneology files tend to be locked into a given program.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:40 AM

People comment like data exchange is easy and painless but the reality is the reverse.

The problem is much larger than GEDCOM. RM's data exchange with FamilySearch Family Tree does not involve GEDCOM. RM's data exchange with ancestry.com does not involve GEDCOM. But both kinds of exchanges are fraught with data loss.

Jerry

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

I think the Rosetta project is bound to fail because of the disparate data structures of different genealogy databases and the losses inherent therefrom in any interchange. At best, it may overcome some differing interpretations of GEDCOM but it may also introduce some flawed interpretations of the different databases and the way users (mis-)use them.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.