• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JasonRoBear

JasonRoBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:47 AM

It would be nice to have a visable option to search and/or input of multiple spellings of names, including:

First name,

Middle name(s),

Maiden Name,

Married last name(s).

For instance, let's say: Holli Ann Hoosier marries David Doyle, therefore her name would be Holli Ann Hoosier Doyle. John dies or they are divorced, and she marries Sam Stewart.  Her name would be Holli Ann Hoosier Doyle Stewart.  In searching for records, they names are listed as they are, errors and all.  So having the multiple names option would be a benefit while doing researching, and branching off trees, with step children as well.

Let's assume the last name Doyle was misspelled or spelled another way years ago. Dyal, Dial, or even Doil are alternate spellings, again having the option to see within the same record would make searching easier.  Just my 2 cents.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

It would be nice to have a visable option to search and/or input of multiple spellings of names, including:

First name,

Middle name(s),

Maiden Name,

Married last name(s).

For instance, let's say: Holli Ann Hoosier marries David Doyle, therefore her name would be Holli Ann Hoosier Doyle. John dies or they are divorced, and she marries Sam Stewart.  Her name would be Holli Ann Hoosier Doyle Stewart.  In searching for records, they names are listed as they are, errors and all.  So having the multiple names option would be a benefit while doing researching, and branching off trees, with step children as well.

Let's assume the last name Doyle was misspelled or spelled another way years ago. Dyal, Dial, or even Doil are alternate spellings, again having the option to see within the same record would make searching easier.  Just my 2 cents.

That possibility already exists and I use it a lot.

https://youtu.be/j_JaStmYAp0

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:54 AM

You can enter alternate names or spellings using the built-in "Alternate name" fact. By using the sort date feature the alternate(s) can display at any point on the edit person screen or in reports.

#4 JasonRoBear

JasonRoBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:05 AM

That possibility already exists and I use it a lot.

https://youtu.be/j_JaStmYAp0

Wow, that video was quick.  I'll have to watch it a few times, being up all night doesn't help.

Thanks!

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:42 AM

Wow, that video was quick.  I'll have to watch it a few times, being up all night doesn't help.

Thanks!

It was thrown together is a great hurry to visually help another user, I'm not intending to produce more or replace videos until I decide my own direction for the future, I don't normally speak so quickly :D but it did demonstrate the multiple married name use you were hoping to achieve.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root