2 replies to this topic

#1 girimonti

girimonti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:05 PM

Hi All,

I am making a few new source templates - one of which is based on the default Birth Registration, local level template that comes standard with RM 7. In the template there is a field called Name which is designed to accept the name of the person who the record was for, but this is a citation field requiring explicit input to be made for information that is already in my data, essentially forcing double entry of name information.

Is there a way to use the existing name of the person to pre-populate that field? It seems as if the source templates are completely detached from the data associated with the person with no way of seeing it.

Is this truly the case? Or is there some sneaky way to see the data from within the source templates?

Kind regards,

Bill

Bill Girimonti

Founder & Managing Director

Il Circolo Calabrese

The world's oldest and largest organization

devoted to the study and preservation of the

genealogy, history, culture and language of

the Calabria region of Italy.

https://www.circolocalabrese.org

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

Your analysis is correct. You have to do the double data entry.

To tell you the truth, I don't think I would want it any other way. You might not think so, but I have a lot of cases where a local birth registration record doesn't actually record the full and correct name of the child who was born. When I transcribe data from a record, I transcribe what's actually in the record even if it's incorrect or incomplete in some way. Therefore, the name in the record may not match the name I have recorded for the person in the main portion of RM.

Jerry

#3 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:20 AM

I have to agree with Jerry. What you seem to be looking for is a way to "link" the Source to a Person, directly. That is not the purpose of a Source. A Source is linked to Citations, which in turn are linked to "Information" about a Person or the Events in their lives. Additionally, as Jerry has pointed out, the Name field, or whatever it is called, is intended to record the persons name AS IT APPEARS in the Source. I wouldn't want it any other way, either.

Best,

Paul