2 replies to this topic

#1 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:02 PM

We will have a RM version 8 shortly, I hope, but it seems, by the questions being asked on the forums, that very few people know what’s in the next version.

It seems that changes to a commercial software product come from several sources:

• Bug Fixes
  • Changes in the development environment that must be addressed to have the product continue to work.
  • Changes in the base operating system that will require updating for RM to continue to work.
  • Changes in the base system that make it very advantageous for enhancement such as improved memory management or like we saw in years past a change from 32 bit addressing to 64 bit addressing.
  • Finally from the customer base, US, who will use the product.

I would like to know if there is a formal route to follow for US to suggest or request changes to RM?

There are some things that I would think are screaming to be fixed or enhanced but other development occurs first.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3837 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:14 PM

Go to the RootsMagic Wish List in these forums to submit requests. I, for one, would be most curious to see your list of things that are screaming to be fixed or enhanced.

As far as a "formal route to follow", all that happens is that items submitted to the Wish List forum are added to RM's internal enhancement request list. The list is not public. There is no public tracking or acknowledgement or anything like that of when or if the items might be included in the product. Users cannot vote on the list. In actual practice, the percentage of items on the list that have made it into the product through the years is exceedingly small.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3477 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

There are some things that I would think are screaming to be fixed or enhanced but other development occurs first.

I would be curious to know your ideas also?

Try browsing previous enhancement requests here, it's quite a long list

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root