• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MPIIIMan

MPIIIMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

I have found an issue with TreeShare not downloading all the media from Ancestry.

This seems to mainly apply to obituaries which have been written using the Write Story feature on Ancestry. RM downloads these as .HTML files.

It does download some of them. I thought it could be a problem with RM generating a file name with parentheses, but Windows allows this as I tested and confirmed I could create a file doing so.

Screenshot below, not that I think it will do any good. Any other info I can provide to assist please let me know.

Obituary_Issue.png

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:00 PM

If it's hit or miss, then it's tough to reproduce. I just tried a little test with a new story for a person on AMT, the change was detected and the update copied the HTML down ok.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 MPIIIMan

MPIIIMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:54 AM

Here is what I noticed that could provide some clues for the developers of the software.

Most of these "Stories" on ancestry have the title "Obituary", the first one it downloads as Obituary.html (I see that in the media folder). It then tries to download others and then names them with the convention Obituary (XXXXXXXXXXX).html. I don't see any Obituary (XXXXXXXXXXX).html files in my media folder.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Is that the LifeStory elements. They are not supported in TreeShare, so I'm surprised the stories downloaded as HTML files. The Ancestry API won't let us upload HTML files for security purposes. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

Ancestry's Upload Story function on the website also prohibits HTML files. Nor does it allow the story to be downloaded; you have to print it, optionally to PDF, as far as I can tell. But it may be storing the story as HTML format and allow it out through TreeShare (at least some of the time) because it poses no risk to its system. So maybe it is an undocumented feature... 

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 MPIIIMan

MPIIIMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

What I originally stated is correct.

RootsMagic does download the "Stories" that people have manually written using the "Create Story" -> "I want to write a story" feature on ancestry.

When you do this you put in a "Story title". It's that title that needs to be unique. If you put in "Obituary" for the story title then any other stories with that same title won't be downloaded. 

I tested and confirmed this is the problem. Renaming the story titles to Obituary for John, Obituary for Joe, Obituary for Tim. Then they all download properly.

Is this the proper place to report bugs? Haven't seen an actual reply from someone on the team.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:02 AM

Is this the proper place to report bugs? Haven't seen an actual reply from someone on the team.

Renee is on the support team. You can also submit a request for support ticket on the website and restate your observation.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:36 PM

I looked on the development list and the issue with Ancestry stories with the same titles not downloading is in there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 MPIIIMan

MPIIIMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

Thank you Renee.

Can you please follow up on this other post of mine as I believe it's a legitimate bug as well.

http://forums.rootsm...ancestry-table/

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:36 PM

I didn't reply on the other post because Jerry comment was correct. 

Renee
RootsMagic