PaulDice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:41 PM

Hi,

I'm a new user, and just noticed a bug,

Edit a person, add a Marriage fact, add a new Person, create the Person,

and that new Person doesn't appear in the "Index" list in the main window.

I checked again and it happened again, this time like so:

Go to "Family" tab of a mum,

Click to add a child - create new child.

Child's Edit-Person window appears,

Add a Marriage fact,

Add new person (this is the person that will not appear in Index),

Once added, you DON'T get taken to the Edit-Person window,

Set the Marriage date+location in the Fact, save and close the Edit-Person window.

Check index - new person hasn't appeared in the list.

Close the RootsMagic program, open it back up again and the person now appears in the list.

Where are we supposed to report these bugs?

Is there something like a Github Issue bug tracker?

cheers,

Paul

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:51 PM

I haven't tested your particular scenario in detail, but it's similar to quite a few similar issues in quite a few places in RM7. Namely, you can change something in RM7 and the change does take effect in the database. But some other panel in RM7 doesn't display the change right away. In other words, RM7 often fails to refresh the screen to reflect a change that was just made in the database.

Again, I haven't played with your particular problem, but I suspect you don't have to shut down RM and restart to fix it. I suspect you could change the left side panel to some other view and return the left side panel back to the Index view and it would be fixed.

You can open a trouble ticket with the RM HelpDesk to report the problem. But RM does not support a public bug tracker such as you describe. And with the huge emphasis on getting RM8 out the door, I wouldn't expect to see this problem or other similar "fail to refresh the screen" problems to be addressed in RM7. The best we can hope for is that RM8 doesn't have this problem.

Jerry

#3 cvernons

cvernons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

I have experienced this issue as well.  All I do is go the Database Tools and select 'Rebuild Index".  This completes in a minute or two and seems to fix the issue on my machine (RM7 on Windows 10)

Hope this helps,

Craig