• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IanT

IanT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:39 AM

Having trouble deleting phantom children, which have appeared since using Ancestry Treeshare

I have tried advice I have seen on this forum as follows:

1. Tried all options in File > Database Tools (including exiting and restarting RM between each option)

2. Selecting blank child in Family view then Edit > Delete > Person - Nothing happens, child not deleted

3. The blank child has no RIN

4. I can edit and add a fact to the blank child but I am still unable to delete it

5. Tried unlinking the blank child from the parents, but still can't delete the unlinked child.

Any suggestions anybody?

Ian

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1519 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:28 AM

Can you select the blank child and add a name? I usually use something like "aa bb" for given & surname. Then the record will be deletable.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8477 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Try a drag n drop of the database into a new blank database. 

Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Try a drag n drop of the database into a new blank database. 

But be aware of the potential losses.

And you may find one of these more aggressive and comprehensive tools at https://sqlitetoolsf...elete-phantoms/ will do the job that RM's Delete Phantoms does not.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 IanT

IanT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for all the help. Problem solved.

I changed the name to "aa bb", removed the fact I had addedd previously, then when I clicked "Save" the record just disappeared from the Index. I didn't have to delete it.

Anyway, I have checked the file and all phantom records now seem to have gone.

Thanks everybody.

Ian

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

I would hazard an educated guess that you've got gremlins in your database. Records shouldn't disappear when you save them! You explicitly said you did not delete the person. Maybe the index did not refresh. Close and reopen the database and have a look for aa bb and have a look in the Family where it previously appeared.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 IanT

IanT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:20 AM

Thanks TomH for the advice. Have checked the file again and no sign of the "aa bb" person. Ran the database tools for good measure and all still looks OK.