10 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

Is there a way to get a headcount of the number of persons in a group?

(I know how to generate a text file, import to Excel, and get it that way, but looking for something more direct in RM)

Thanks

Rick

Oops, never mind......it popped up two seconds after I posted

Use Reports - List - Statistics - by group

Works great

More to the point - - is there a way to get a report of persons by group who have open hints (specifically Ancestry hints)?

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:10 PM

No there isn't a report on WebHints. To look at all the Ancestry hints together their website will do that for you. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

Oops, never mind......it popped up two seconds after I posted

Use Reports - List - Statistics - by group

Works great

I would quibble with the "works great" characterization. I would say that it works but that it's pretty clunky. I don't understand why the list of groups can't just include the counts. The counts should appear there, all the time, every time. The counts are just too hard to get.

Jerry

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:15 AM

I would quibble with the "works great" characterization. I would say that it works but that it's pretty clunky. I don't understand why the list of groups can't just include the counts. The counts should appear there, all the time, every time. The counts are just too hard to get.

Jerry

Jerry,

I actually agree with you, but the statistical report for a group beats what you would have to do to get the count by other methods. I use groups and flags to keep track of my research status by family. My flags are placed in the prefix field, which I do not use otherwise. For example, {W} means research in work, etc.

Rick

RickL

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

Jerry

Agreed, thumbs-up-emoticon.jpg

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

No there isn't a report on WebHints. To look at all the Ancestry hints together their website will do that for you. 

I have used the Ancestry tool, which allows searches by name, but it is rather clunky when you are trying to ID tree members with open hints in RM. Some sort of report, with group creation capabilities, would be very helpful. Otherwise, searching for open hints in RM is basically a visual, one by one, process.  Clearing hints, if you are using hints in your research, is critical to keeping the sync between RM and Ancestry (or other platforms) current. I try to attack these by family groups and the lack of a report hinders that effort.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:28 PM

The problem is the hints only display as you are viewing the individuals. It would require to many resources to generate them database wide. That is why you don't find WebHints on the People view. If they are not all generated then we couldn't generate a report for all of them. 

Since the hints are generated on the Ancestry website they have the best capabilities of displaying them all.  Not sure if you looked in the right spot on Ancestry for "All Hints" by tree. Each hint has the name of the person and you can visit their profile from the hint. Once identified you could open RM to view their hints there and work on them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:24 PM

That is why you don't find WebHints on the People view. If they are not all generated then we couldn't generate a report for all of them.

I have long felt that WebHints could be generated for People View by generating the hints only for the people who are currently on the screen. As you scrolled People View, hints obviously would have to be regenerated, but that would be ok. It would never be very many hints at a time being regenerated. Also, I most typically use People View with a group, and the group is often much smaller than what is in a Descendant View, and hints are already being generated successfully for everybody in Descendant View.

And going in the other direction, I frequently think that Descendant View could greatly benefit from  at least some of People View's ability to specify which columns of data to display.

Jerry

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:39 AM

The problem is the hints only display as you are viewing the individuals. It would require to many resources to generate them database wide. That is why you don't find WebHints on the People view. If they are not all generated then we couldn't generate a report for all of them. 

Since the hints are generated on the Ancestry website they have the best capabilities of displaying them all.  Not sure if you looked in the right spot on Ancestry for "All Hints" by tree. Each hint has the name of the person and you can visit their profile from the hint. Once identified you could open RM to view their hints there and work on them. 

Renee,

Yes, I go to Trees/Manage Trees/My Tree/All Hints and work from there. This all works OK, but as you said  "you could open RM to view their hints there and work on them". This is "one person at a time" centered. I was looking for something that would allow me to create groups in RM and see the open hint light bulbs there for each member of the group. It appears that does not exist at this time, so I'll just have to flip back and forth between A.com and RM, person by person.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6215 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

I'm not sure that chasing WebHints for those people on screen in People View would necessarily be satisfactory. Paging through a large dataset would trigger many requests to the providers, many of which would be ignored as the user has paged onwards, even before there are any results. Apart from the unwarranted load on the servers, the normally slow turning on of light bulbs is frustrating as you land on a new page. A simpler and, I think, better solution for providers and users is to enable WebHints in People View when the number of people in the view is below some limit, e.g., 100 people. Thus, after the usual delay and no matter what page subset of the 100 people, the hint bulbs are immediately displayed.

Even if your database is large, then any group whose size is below the limit will have WebHints in People View.

I suppose another controlled approach would be a manual button to "Get WebHints" in People View and it would request them for the 100 people starting from the top of the current page...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:59 AM

I'm not sure that chasing WebHints for those people on screen in People View would necessarily be satisfactory. Paging through a large dataset would trigger many requests to the providers, many of which would be ignored as the user has paged onwards, even before there are any results. Apart from the unwarranted load on the servers, the normally slow turning on of light bulbs is frustrating as you land on a new page. A simpler and, I think, better solution for providers and users is to enable WebHints in People View when the number of people in the view is below some limit, e.g., 100 people. Thus, after the usual delay and no matter what page subset of the 100 people, the hint bulbs are immediately displayed.

Even if your database is large, then any group whose size is below the limit will have WebHints in People View.

I suppose another controlled approach would be a manual button to "Get WebHints" in People View and it would request them for the 100 people starting from the top of the current page...

I think Tom's approach is quite reasonable - better than my suggestion. I often have groups that are less than 100 people. I might suggest going a bit larger than 100 people, but perhaps not too much larger. I often am getting  hints for far more than 100 people in Descendant View when there are a lot of generations. RM slows down briefly when I first go to such a large Descendant View when hints are enabled, but it doesn't crash or become unusable or anything like that. So I think People View could handle hints for maybe a few hundred people at the same time but probably not for a few thousand people at the same time.

I think that Descendant View and People View have more in common than it seems, or perhaps I should suggest that they should have even more in common than they already do. A Descendant View automatically defines "a group of people" for you, where the "group criteria" doesn't have to be specified explicitly by you. And the "group criteria" of being a descendant is even dynamic. It's automatic if you add a descendant that they are in the view. I think the "group" defined by Descendant View is a good way to work with hints, a good way to work with FS matching, and those kinds of things. The only thing I don't like about Descendant View is that if you add a generation in order to see more people, it adds spouses and children. I really, really, really wish there were a way to "add a half generation" and only add the spouses without adding the children at the same time. I really wish I could have a couple of generations in People View, then add the spouses  of the children, then add their children, then add the spouses of those children, etc. The extra granularity would be extremely helpful, and surely it wouldn't be very hard to do.

Jerry