Photo

Using a named group to create a new file?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:29 PM

I've been an advanced user of TMG since the '90s (since the DOS version, actually), but I'm still pretty new to RootsMagic. I imported a large dataset direct from TMG, and it was handled just fine -- and much cleaner than if I had GEDCOMed it. But there's a chunk of that new RM file that I would now like to calve off into a second, separate file.

I know I can drag-and-drop individuals into a new file, and I apparently also have the option to select persons from the picklist -- but it's a VERY LONG list. I've created a named group of the several thousand persons I want to transfer, using "ancestor of" and "family of" and all that. But I don't see any way to-drag-and-drop that whole named group.

Seems like it should be an obvious thing to be able to do, and not essentially any different from selecting persons from the picklist, but using the existing named group would be a whole lot more efficient. Am I just overlooking something?

Thanks!

Mike

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6215 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

While you cannot drag'n'drop a named group (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do), you can export it to GEDCOM and then import it into a new database. The irony is that drag'n'drop is a background export/import via GEDCOM.

Read this to understand what you might lose in the process: https://sqlitetoolsf...ransfer-losses/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:56 PM

If you color-code a group you can select that as an option for your drag n drop. Use the "Select People from a list" and "Mark Group" options. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:31 PM

If you color-code a group you can select that as an option for your drag n drop. Use the "Select People from a list" and "Mark Group" options. 

That's what I would do. Clear all your colors. Make your group into a color. Drag and drop the color.

I have talked about this several times before, but I have changed my usage of color coding a great deal through the years. I used to treat color coding as pretty permanent - color coding one group of ancestors one color, color coding a different group of ancestors a different color, etc. I think that lots of RM users do the same thing. But through the years I have changed my approach considerably. Color coding is so useful that I need to be willing to destroy it and do it all over again on a moments notice. And then do the same thing again a few minutes or a few days later. So now I do more permanent flagging of  people by doing things like adding custom facts to them as flags.

Custom facts work great for creating color coding, for creating groups, for looking at things in People View, etc. The problem with custom facts is that you have to add them one at a time unless you do a bulk add with SQLite. This is a huge advantage that TMG had in that it had "permanent" flags that could be set with a bulk operation. RM has no such facility. Neither color coding nor groups nor bulk adding shared facts nor bulk adding sources with MultiCite does what's really needed.

I don't think that RM7 does bulk operations very well. It's not just this example, but many other examples. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, RM8 includes better to support various needful kinds of bulk operations.

Jerry

#5 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

While you cannot drag'n'drop a named group (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do), you can export it to GEDCOM and then import it into a new database. The irony is that drag'n'drop is a background export/import via GEDCOM.

Read this to understand what you might lose in the process: https://sqlitetoolsf...ransfer-losses/

Rats. Exporting a GEDCOM and then importing it into a new file is exactly what I was trying to avoid. GEDCOM is a lossy process, as I well know. One of the deciding factors for my picking RM as a replacement for TMG is that it can do a full direct import of the TMG dataset. I have a number of large TMG datasets that have nothing to do with my own family -- whole-population studies of certain historical communities, and so on. Far too large to do any significant retyping of info that GEDCOM couldn't handle.

Doing a direct copy of everything in a subset of a file for the creation of a new file needs to be on the developers' wish list.

Mike

#6 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:54 AM

That's what I would do. Clear all your colors. Make your group into a color. Drag and drop the color.

I have talked about this several times before, but I have changed my usage of color coding a great deal through the years. I used to treat color coding as pretty permanent - color coding one group of ancestors one color, color coding a different group of ancestors a different color, etc. I think that lots of RM users do the same thing. But through the years I have changed my approach considerably. Color coding is so useful that I need to be willing to destroy it and do it all over again on a moments notice. And then do the same thing again a few minutes or a few days later. So now I do more permanent flagging of  people by doing things like adding custom facts to them as flags.

Custom facts work great for creating color coding, for creating groups, for looking at things in People View, etc. The problem with custom facts is that you have to add them one at a time unless you do a bulk add with SQLite. This is a huge advantage that TMG had in that it had "permanent" flags that could be set with a bulk operation. RM has no such facility. Neither color coding nor groups nor bulk adding shared facts nor bulk adding sources with MultiCite does what's really needed.

I don't think that RM7 does bulk operations very well. It's not just this example, but many other examples. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, RM8 includes better to support various needful kinds of bulk operations.

Jerry

Okay, thanks. I'm going to give the color thing a shot. I haven't used color codes in RM yet -- still a new user, as I said -- but I made heavy use of customized flags in TMG. My field is "local history" and I have several whole-population projects I've been working on for years. I've used flags to identify the members of certain pioneer church congregations that uprooted themselves and moved to a new state en masse, and to track those who served in a particular Civil War unit together, and so on. I hadn't found anything about "flags" in RM, but it looks like color-coding serves the same function.

Mike

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6215 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

Here's a couple of outboard alternatives I've developed that are not 'lossy' the way RM's drag'n'drop and GEDCOM are:

1. Delete Many: make a copy of your database. In it, colour code or group all the people you DON'T want to keep. Run the corresponding script to delete them, leaving in place those you want to keep.
  2. Groups – Extract most everything for one to a new database: does directly what you want but it's technically more challenging.

Otherwise, you could wait and see if RM8 offers an improved transfer process or simply accept the losses.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

Okay, thanks. I'm going to give the color thing a shot.

That will get you all the right people, but do be mindful of the lossiness issues that Tom is talking  about.

Jerry