• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

RM7: Find common ancestors in paternal and maternal branches. I would like to separate my paternal branch from my maternal branch for a maternal cousin to use. However, I must have common ancestors in both the paternal and maternal branches.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

Here's a thought on how you might find those common ancestors.

1 - go to a Family or Pedigree view of the paternal/maternal couple

2 - color code the ancestor -- maybe sterotypcally bue for paternal and red for maternal ancestors?

3 - move the focus to a child of that paternal/maternal couple

4 - go to Reports > Charts > Wall Charts and create an ancestor chart for that child - try various # of generations, start small than move larger

5 - inspect the Ancestor Wall Chart for collisions of the blue/red family branches - that's a common ancestor

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

I use one database for all the ancestors and use the color coding like Zhangrau suggested in above message.  When I do the color coding, I use 4 colors a different color for each of my grandparents.  All ancestors line back.  Then I know for sure which line I am working on.  Many of us have been doing this since FO days. 

Nettie

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

Prior attempt to create a paternal tree and a maternal tree. One tree counted=12,603. Unlinked me from parents. Counted two trees, 12,602 and me. This showed that my paternal branch is still connected to my maternal branch. Relationship calculator showed common ancestors in my maternal side. I tried your great suggestion with colors. So far, could not find any common ancestors connecting maternal side to paternal side. Did see the common ancestors in my maternal side. I went as far up as 3 generations using 8 colors. Do I need to continue up the tree? Any more suggestions would be much appreciated. Russell

#5 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:50 PM

At generation one, I looked at all generations above. Then generation two, looked at all generations above. At generation 3, looked at all generations above. Saw no common ancestors except the one in my maternal side. Russell

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:46 PM

Let's assume you color code your paternal line blue and your maternal line red, and that you do it in that order. Don't color code yourself. Make a group of everybody in your database who is your direct ancestor, including yourself. Set the main view to Pedigree View. Set the left side panel to group mode and put your direct ancestor group into the side panel. Scroll fairly quickly from the top of the side panel to the bottom, but not so quickly you can't notice the color codes of the people in Pedigree View.

For the most part, everybody in the Pedigree View will be red or everybody in the Pedigree View will be red. But before too long you will have both red and blue people on you screen at the same time, and you will have identified your problem. Well, there may be more than one person who is an ancestor to both your mother and your father, so you can keep going until you find them all.

It sounds pretty manual and it is, but it's easy to do and it shouldn't take too long to find the ancestor who is both paternal line and maternal line.

Jerry

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Zhangrau  did not say it explicitly, but if you already have color coding, and then start a new branch with a different color, there can be what I call "a collision".  The last branch taken, if it hits someone with a previous color, will change a previous color to the new one.  

I have wished for an option that in the case of a collision, that the color would be set to some third color.

#8 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:43 PM

So far, unable to find a common ancsetor in both maternal & paternal using both methods.

Using the preferred mehtod, I could not find a common ancestor

I even tried by coloring one side Red with different colors for each ancestor in the other side and vice versa.

Red for paternal side. Different color for maternal parents.

Red for paternal side. Different color for maternal grandparents.

Red for paternal side. Different color for maternal Ggrandparents.

Red for paternal side. Different color for maternal Gggrandparents.

Red for maternal side. Different color for paternal parents.

Red for maternal side. Different color for paternal grandparents.

Red for maternal side. Different color for paternal Ggrandparents.

Red for maternal side. Different color for paternal Gggrandparents.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Russell

#9 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

I realize now that it can look like I have a common ancestor in my direct pedigree if someone else not in my direct pedigree is related to both my maternal and paternal ancestors. So how do I find that individual? Russell

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:29 PM

Create a Descendant Report  Your paternal grandparent each time.  Save your copy to .rtf which goes to Word. The recolor the materal grandparent line. Save our copy to Word.  You can look at both of them at them side by side in word to compare..  That may help you look for it. 

I would  Keep your color coding, because if you find the other issues then you can analysis your files. Like Jerry said, Color all you ancestors back from the Pedigree Chart. It will ask you if you want all of them colored.. Yes.   That color coding is very very helpful.  

Genealogy:

#11 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

Nettie - Help. I'm not sure how to start to create the kind of descendant report you suggested and how I can use it to detect a common ancestor. Russell

#12 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:32 PM

Jerry, John, & Nettie - Thanks for your suggestions. Being sure my parents were unlinked, I found one more common ancestor left in my pedigree tree. After, unlinking it, I still have one tree. Looking through my descendants' tree, I found one more causing the paternal branch to connect to the maternal branch. After unlinking it, I still have one big fat tree. Any other suggestions? Otherwise, I plan to check down the descendants' tree one by one again. Russell

#13 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:03 AM

The existence of these common ancestors and descendats was an early focus of my own research. After 3 decades, I have many, many such links between various branches of my database tree. I've found that readers of my reports find that info quite interesting. I have done research to document the ancestry of friendds and acquaintances, and I always look for these interlinkages. I think it emphasizes what we have in common....

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:51 AM

Thus far, I have not found any common ancestors between my mother and father. But I don't have to go very generations back before I have ancestors who are spouses and who themselves have common ancestors. For well over two hundred years, most of my ancestors lived in sparsely populated rural counties in Southern Appalachia. Most everybody married somebody who lived in relatively easy walking distance. There wasn't anybody else to marry. My standard joke is that so far, I haven't found any ancestor who married their sister unless you count a step-sister. (That's not really a joke. My father's maternal grandparents were step-brother and step-sister and she was 12 years old when they got married.) But I have found numerous ancestors who married their first cousin or their second cousin. And collateral lines are the same way. There would be many, many marriages within just a very few families. It makes for some very interesting and convoluted relationship charts. I'm sure that such an ancestry is why I am so weird. And I do wish RM's relationship calculator were beefed up a bit to include spouses - like spouse of my second cousin twice removed and that sort of thing.

Jerry

#15 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:34 AM

Click on an ancestor that you would like to make a descendant chart

Go Menu/report

Click  on List

You should see Descendant List

Highlight it and Create Report

Decide how many Generations you want and what other facts on that page.

Click on the right side panel for Title

Layout

Fonts

Indexes

After all your choices are checked then Click Generate Report

That should do it.  I always put them in Word with index surgivendescentdatemonthyr.deocx and it is stored in my Surname with right given name. 

You can also use Excel to keep your files.  I do that if I am  making a researching log for my check list of what facts/events to find  .    I use one Excel workbook per Surname.  

Genealogy:

#16 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:36 AM

Where is the edit button to update post.   deocx  should be .docx

Genealogy:

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

Make sure you're not the common link between you paternal and maternal like. No kidding I've seen it happen. Looking all over the tree and forget to unlink themselves from their parents. 

You could create a group to export for your cousin. Highlight your mother and under Mark Group select "Ancestors of highlighted person". Then select the option "Ancestors and descendants of ancestors". Set the number of generations for each. This will climb up the maternal line and down each ancestors descendants. If your paternal line is connect through cousin marriages it shouldn't include them. Select the group to use for exporting a GEDCOM for your cousin. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 (RBL)

(RBL)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

To my dear friends:

1. My goal is to separate my tree of 12,000 into two branches, paternal and maternal.

2. My parents are not blood related.

3. I unlinked myself and 15 obvious members who connected both branches.

4. I unlinked one so well hidden it took me three days to find.

5. I still have one tree.

6. Will systematically unlinking groups of people, such as ones with same last name until I have separation, work?

Russell