4 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:57 AM

I have quite a few PDF, jpg, etc media files, all stored in a single directory.

I have been inconsistent (shame on me!) in naming these over the years.

For instance, I might have named a PDF or JPG file, as follows

Duke of Earl

Duke-of-Earl

Duke_of_Earl

I would like to go back and make everything the same style; however, we talking about files being attached to several people.

Is there an easy way to do this without breaking all the media links?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3915 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

It depends on your definition of "easy". Here's how to do it.

You have to do the renames one file at a time and from with in RM. Go into Lists>Media Gallery and highlight the file you wish to rename. This can be easier said than done. I find it easiest to do if I first click the List button down in the lower left hand corner of the Media Gallery sub-window so I can see the file names. RM doesn't remember this setting, so I often have to repeat this step. It's further easiest to do if I next enter a portion of the existing file name into the search box in the upper left hand corner of the Media Gallery sub-window and click the Search icon (the looking glass icon). This filters the list of files to only those files containing my search string. Then I highlight the file I wish to rename.

Having done so, I click the Properties button and the Change Media File button. RM does not think I'm going to rename the file. RM thinks I'm going to replace the existing file with a different file. So we will just leave RM in total ignorance of what we are really doing.

The Change Media File button places you into a Windows File Explorer sub-window from which you can select a "different" file from the one you are currently using.  You need to select (click on) the existing file (not a "different" file), click press F2 to go into the Windows File Explorer dialog to rename the file, then rename the file, select the renamed file, and click Ok. RM will think it has replaced the "previous" file with a "different" file. What has really happened is that the file with the "previous" name has been replaced by the same file with a "new" name.

This process is somewhat cumbersome, but it's much easier than any of the alternatives I've been able to come up with. And it's extremely safe in the sense that if your file has been tagged many, many different place in RM then all those tags will be preserved.

I use a similar process if I really do wish to change to a different file. For example, I might have RM linked to a PDF file and I decide to extract the image from the PDF file into a JPG or PNG file instead. The same process can be used to redirect RM to the JPG or PNG file without losing all the existing media tags in RM. The existing media tags are the things that are difficult to replicate if they are lost.

Back to the rename process in Windows File Explorer: if there are many, many files in the folder in which you are working, it can again be difficult to find the specific file you seek to rename. I find it very helpful to change the view in Windows File Explorer from the default of large thumbnail to Details view or List view. You really need to see the file name, not the picture.

Jerry

#3 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

Thanks, Jerry.  I'll add this to my "to do" list.  My luck is that I'll be working on it and "presto" RM 8 is released which does it very easily!

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3499 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

Thanks, Jerry.  I'll add this to my "to do" list.  My luck is that I'll be working on it and "presto" RM 8 is released which does it very easily!

A strong naming system to see you into the future without another revamp is important, I prepared the video below some time ago to help other users.

https://youtu.be/25gkgOAgv3k

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6432 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:31 PM

This SQLite script and command line script may give you some ideas. https://sqlitetoolsf...citation-media/

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.