• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillieS

BillieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

I'm moving from an old version of Family Tree Maker to RootsMagic. In FTM there was no field for alternate names, so I created a custom fact (which is, but shouldn't be attached to a date) , and entered the alternate name in the place/description field, leaving the date blank. As RM can handle alternate names, is there a way that I can move the name to where it should be? And if so, can I then print a report that shows both names?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

I don't think there is a report in RM that would show what you want. The Individual Summary will show the built-in Alternate Name fact and your custom AltName fact but it is likely the only one other than narrative types. The Lists>Custom Report doesn't output the Alternate Name fact. Nor does People View.

Nor is there a feature in RM to move values from a custom fact type or a place to a name fact. It's all manual editing.

One could create more suitable lists and move data in batch using SQLite directly on the database outside of RM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 BillieS

BillieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:06 AM

It looks like I'll have to keep the custom fact as is.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3664 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:33 AM

I think it depends on how many of your custom facts there are. If there are a few dozen in your database, you could change them manually. They would be very easy to find and there are several easy ways to find them. If there are a few hundred or a few thousand in your database, then changing them all manually could be extremely burdensome. Sometimes otherwise very simple processes don't scale up very well.

As Tom already mentioned, it could be done in batch with SQLite. But the SQLite would be a little trickier than many SQLite scripts. That's because all RM facts including custom facts are in one table except for the Alternate Name fact which is in a different table. So data would have to be moved from one SQLite table to a different table.

Jerry

#5 BillieS

BillieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

Thanks Tom and Jerry.  I think that I'll keep my custom field rather than try to move the several thousand Hebrew names to "alternate name" - at least until I learn how to use SQLite.  That's definitely on my to do list.