Jump to content


Photo

Creating gedcom files from text


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BillieS

BillieS

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:34 AM

I had to make a copy of gedcom file and make some corrections before importing the new file into RM. When I save it the suffix changs from .ged to .txt, and the file is not recognized by RM. So the question is: how to I save or create a gedcom file other than by exporting it from a genealogy program?



#2 TomH

TomH

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:27 AM

That is your text editor changing the extension. You should be able to change the extension back to .txt through your file manager, even while saving from the text editor. The contents are still GEDCOM format.


Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.


#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3662 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:28 AM

Rename the file from .txt to .ged with Windows File Explorer. Or use a text editor that doesn't insist on adding the .txt extension.

 

The problem with the Windows File Explorer solution is that Microsoft apparently thinks all its users are idiots and it therefore tries to hide all the good stuff from you in Windows File Explorer, like file extensions. There are Windows options to enable you to see the good stuff, but it can be a pain to find the options and turn them on. But it's well worth doing so for all kinds of reasons, not just your particular problem. Having changed the options, Windows does remember that you have made the changes.

 

In addition, ,it's well worth the trouble to download and install a third party file manager. Such managers are usually much superior to Windows File Explorer for many purposes, including being able to see and rename file extensions.. The one I use is free, it's excellent, and it's called Agent Ransack. But there are others that are equally free and excellent.

 

Jerry



#4 BillieS

BillieS

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:27 AM

My gedcom file was produced by a program that does not support Unicode. Despite this, I was able to enter Hebrew letters in one of the fact fields. When I exported the file to gedcom, the Hebrew letters came out in a different (Corsican) alphabet. The change that I had to make was to convert the letters one by one to the correct alphabet. 

I followed Jerry's suggestion using Windows File Explorer. In the original file, I changed the char at the beginning of the gedcom file from ANSI to UNICODE, and then letter by letter, using "replace" changed the Corsican letters into Hebrew, and saved the file. I was able to change the extension from .txt to .ged and import the new file. Sounds good, doesn't it?
When I opened the new file in RootsMagic, what should have been Hebrew text came up in a new form of gibberish! and it added letters. What in Hebrew should be מאיר came out as ×ž×�יר ×–×�ב. Even if you are not familiar with the Hebrew alphabet, you can see that there is a difference. 
What now?
I followed your instructions, and everything worked exactly as you said it would. In the original file, I changed the char at the beginning of the file from ANSI to UNICODE, and then letter by letter changed the Corsican letters into Hebrew, and saved the file. I was able to change the extension from .txt to .ged and import the new file. Sounds good, doesn't it?
When I opened the new file in RootsMagic, what should have been Hebrew text came up in a new form of gibberish! and it added letters. What in Hebrew should be מאיר came out as ×ž×�יר ×–×�ב. Even if you don't know the Hebrew alphabet, you can see that there is a difference.


#5 TomH

TomH

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

The CHAR line should be:

1 CHAR UTF-8

Whether that solves your problem remains to be seen. It's possible that other parameters in the header also are at play, given that it is from another software. RM might be acting based on them. What is the originating software?

 

Also, btw, in the RM Import dialogue, when you are selecting a file, you can override the *.ged filter by:

  1. type *.txt into the filename and click Open, or
  2. start typing the name of the .txt file and it will popup filenames matching the first few character you've typed, regardless of extension.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.


#6 BillieS

BillieS

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

I changed the CHAR line to UTF-8  It worked!  THANK YOU! :)

 

The original software is Family Tree Maker 2005. I have a 2nd question, but it's a different topic so I'll send that separately.