• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BillieS

BillieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:22 AM

I imported a gedcom file produced by a program that doesn't support Unicode. As a result, words that were typed in a foreign alphabet did not transfer properly. As a result, I have to make global spelling corrections. Using "search" I can easily find the words that need correction, but the current search and replace works only on specific fields and not on words or letters in other locations.  It would be of great help to be able to search for and replace individual letters throughout the database.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

I agree with your wish in general. In this case, you could probably solve your problem by editing the GEDCOM itself and importing it again. You would do all the single letter search and replace operations and then edit the line in the GEDCOM that says its ASCII to say its Unicode instead.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. You can use Search>Find Everywhere to locate some of the words you are not able to find in Search & Replace. They would need to be edited one at a time. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

I agree with your wish in general. In this case, you could probably solve your problem by editing the GEDCOM itself and importing it again. You would do all the single letter search and replace operations and then edit the line in the GEDCOM that says its ASCII to say its Unicode instead.

Oops, as Tom indicated in another thread, the correct GEDCOM code for Unicode in this case is UTF-8.

Jerry