51 replies to this topic

#41 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:30 PM

Greedy people are never satisfied that they have enough. They’re like sharks that spend their entire life hunting and consuming. All the oceans in the world can’t satisfy these eating machines.”
― Frank Sonnenberg

And I thought I was expressing mere curiosity. Good to know I'm greedy and devour everything in sight!

#42 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

Five installations on the Blog between September 2 and September 23, 21 days/5 = average time between postings of 4.2 days. However, it has been eleven days since the last posting... Hmm, nothing new to show?

Still no new blog posts about RM8. There was a new blog post about RM7 and Catalina, but nothing new about RM8.

Jerry

#43 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3426 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:44 PM

I feel a disturbance in the force and that's nothing to do with the recent email transcripts of this thread :D

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#44 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

Good post/email on no RM7 64 bit for catalina but only for osterich users unaware of this well know change.

Agree that RM8 teases which started to reach 2 per week have dried up. Hope this does not bode ill for near-term release (02/2020)?

#45 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:00 AM

Good post/email on no RM7 64 bit for catalina but only for osterich users unaware of this well know change.

]

I'm not sure that's accurate.  See - the variety of User Comments and experiences at the bottom of this post - http://osxdaily.com/...-now-available/

Personally, I see no difference between the approach of Apple and Microsoft to implementing change.  it's just down to individual user experience, preferences; and to some extent the available the cash to invest in IT hardware and software.  Users generally want continuous improvement, but tend to loath any change that requires them to work/think any differently.  Even more so if there is a real or perceived financial cost.  Not so long ago both MacOS and Windows Upgrades to the next version required an immediate financial investment. Those upgrades are currently 'free' to existing users but does anyone express any appreciation?

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#46 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

Mashby:  Agree many users, especially low-level ones, fear change and resist learning. However Apple releases continuous software stability, security and feature improvements that build on a coherent strategy and involve few big changes. They also forced Microsoft to follow suit on free OS upgrades. Note the release cycle of the two OS platforms: Apple every 12-16 months; Microsoft 5+ years. Remember Vista and Windows 8 (so bad they skipped version 9 to break up market opinion).

#47 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:35 AM

The sixth RM8 blog entry has been posted.  http://blog.rootsmagic.com/

Excellent news, especially including the unblocking of the main screen when editing screens(!) are open.

#48 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

In a certain sense, only two new features have been announced so far, but both of them are huge.

• RM8 runs natively on both PC and Mac.
  • RM8 uses a has a new user interface with a modern look and feel and which uses non-modal windows (i.e., non-blocking windows)

I obviously haven't had a chance to play with RM8 yet, but the non-modal windows thing appears to be a very full and rich implementation of the non-modal windows concept. It might have been possible for RM8 only to nibble at the edges of improvements when it came to non-modal windows, but it looks like RM8 is all in for non-modal windows. If the non-modal windows implementation turns out to be as good as it looks like it is, it seems to me that all the advantages of this one improvement will be fully apparent only after using the product for an extended time period - weeks or months, for example. The support for multiple monitors which was demonstrated is just one of probably many, many usability improvements that will be provided by via non-modal windows.

Jerry

#49 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:14 AM

In a certain sense, only two new features have been announced so far, but both of them are huge.

There have been a few other tidbits confirmed (fan charts, etc.), but I have not kept a running list.

The other major new feature (implied in the native Mac part) is that RM will be 64-bit not 32-bit.

#50 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

When RM8 is officially released, will there be a hard copy User's Manual available?

#51 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6256 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:32 AM

Nobody outside of RM knows. I rather doubt it. At best, expect a PDF "Getting the Most Out of RootsMagic 8" and that may not be immediately, possibly followed later by a printed book. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#52 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:44 AM

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3328