51 replies to this topic

#21 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

There is a vast discussion about installment three on the Facebook group. I'm trying very hard not to comment overly aggressively until more information becomes available. One comment that I have been withholding but which was mentioned prominently on the Facebook group is a strong preference for menus being at the top of the screen instead of on the left. So it will be interesting to see if there is an option to move the gray navigation bar to the top of the screen where it would appear to belong. Or if the screen real estate at the top of the screen is being reserved for some other function that has not yet been disclosed.

Jerry

#22 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

Left sidebar is a common feature on many modern genealogy programs and leaves the top row available for the standard mac menu items and a row of icons. It is great that you can collapse it once you learn the icons and use only a thin strip of the screen.

I wonder if RM8 will have the same great interface on windows like the mac? Family tree maker has very different windows mac layouts and feature names which causes endless confusion in my FTM sig between different OS users. Bruce so far seems to have chosen an excellent function layout approach.

I have finished cleaning up my FTM database and eagerly await FTM 2019 and RM8 (2020?).

#23 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:33 AM

I'm glad to learn that there will be words, and an option to abandon them and just show icons. However, my preference would be to bag the icons and just show text buttons. I hope it's not too late to offer this as an option. It should be a simple change.

I also hope it will be possible to show the icons/text horizontally at the top if the user so wishes.

#24 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

Left sidebar is a common feature on many modern genealogy programs and leaves the top row available for the standard mac menu items and a row of icons. It is great that you can collapse it once you learn the icons and use only a thin strip of the screen.

I've only had a quick glance at the blog post but of course noticed the left side bar, my 1st impression was that it is a little like the latest version of Gramps, perhaps this is a trend forming?

#25 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:11 AM

Installment four: http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3274

In general, this looks like a very nice and useful and easy to use screen. And the navigation to get to the screen looks good, easier and more intuitive than RM7.

I do see two problems with the screen. One is that it doesn't give actual dates for file creation and update. Rather, it gives general dates such as "today" or "six months ago". The other problem is that the screen is far too loose with too much white space between the lines. The visual effect is just not good. More importantly, you have to scroll to see all the information. RM7's equivalent screen doesn't have either of these problems.

Jerry

#26 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

Five:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3280

#27 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:35 PM

Bruce just went into afterburner with all jets blasting, and left the competition in the dust.

#28 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

On its face (and without being able actually to play with it), the "Files" screens in Part 5 look extremely reasonable and extremely well designed. I note with pleasure that all the icons are associated with words.

My only puzzlement (and this is not a complaint) has to do with the "Download from an Online Tree" option. I wonder if that's just a different way to get to TreeShare and FamilySearch, or if it's actually a new feature. We shall have to wait and see.

Jerry

#29 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

How soon after the release of RM8 will there be a printed version of a User's Manual. I'm old fashioned :) 

#30 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

Bruce just went into afterburner with all jets blasting, and left the competition in the dust.

Did i miss something??

Am I the only user who has only seen a redressing and rearrangement of the deck chairs so far? Am I the only user who sees a much simplified interface more in line with tablets and small screens? Am I the only user starting to seriously worry about a possible move away from right click options? I fully realize with the amount of user confusion on facebook the interface does need to be much more intuitive but I hope that is not the sum total of where development time has went.

#31 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:49 AM

jck;  you must be a pc user. 

RM8's main feature is to be a native mac program. This requires a much improved and simplified user interface but with no loss of features or right clicks. This is not a tablet interface but a user friendly mac interface without confusing nested paths to hidden features. 

I hope for few "new" features and for a focus on usability with fewer screens to click through. We mac users will also not miss the codeweaver program version locking up or crashing every few steps.

Jerry: the download from import feature sounds like a similar option in FTM 2017 to import an ancestry tree directly. However gedcom will probably be the route for customers lost due to the many years delay in a native mac version. The import from FTM only works for the long obsolete 2014 ancestry version.

#32 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

RM Inc has tried to keep expectations low for new features in RM8 because it's main outcome is to be a common codebase out of which both native Windows and Mac programs can be compiled. As a windows user, my fear is that it will be buggier than RM7 which was mature in Windows and that some features will be lost because the development effort was too great for the estimated small number of beneficiaries (i.e., advanced users). I doubt very much that already 'deprecated' features like the HTML and RM6 style websites will be in it.

So, yes, the UI so far looks very much like a rearranging of the deck chairs and that's hardly surprising if you have paid attention to what RM Inc has been saying all along. But it does respond to one very big wish from many (all?) users: a flatter, less modal UI.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#33 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

Rooty, yes i am primarily a PC user but I understand the relatively small mac user base needs and if TomH is correct in his assumptions I will just give it a miss.

#34 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

jck:

Macs are the only pc segment showing growth over recent years and has become significant in all consumer markets. My genealogy group in Tucson has a lot of macs. Apple has reshaped expectations of what a good device and interface must be.

Probably a mistake to not do RM8. Bruce seems to be focused on the user interface and a common database structure for both windows and macs. He certainly has taken enough time to get it mostly right. Yes there will be bugs but having a strong mac user base will force a better response to user issues. We have higher standards than Microsoft and will only stay/return if RM8 works.

#35 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

jck:

Macs are the only pc segment showing growth over recent years and has become significant in all consumer markets. My genealogy group in Tucson has a lot of macs. Apple has reshaped expectations of what a good device and interface must be.

Probably a mistake to not do RM8. Bruce seems to be focused on the user interface and a common database structure for both windows and macs. He certainly has taken enough time to get it mostly right. Yes there will be bugs but having a strong mac user base will force a better response to user issues. We have higher standards than Microsoft and will only stay/return if RM8 works.

I think they should leak something appealing beyond Mac interface, I also regarded the Mac brigade as the posher and more demanding side of computer users. So if all features rise to the Mac user accepted and polished standard then that may well be worth the wait as I find many features well rooted in the last century.

#36 SwedishBob

SwedishBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:04 PM

Looks all right so far. The UI feels a bit like a tablet look. Something to get used to definitely, but I prefer to play around with it before being too critical. I do hope there's a way to reach the index as I use that quite frequently. I also have a hope for translations (or the possibility of) in it as it was a feature I was anticipating for RM5 (if I remember the version correctly). As I recall, that version had to be rewritten to be able to handle translations or something in that vein. If there is language support in RM8, I would gladly help to translate it into my native Swedish. :)

And whilst talking about language, I would like to make a friendly correction to the owner of family tree in the blog posts. It's the name of "Nilla Oakta Jeppsdotter". Seeing that the umlauts are missing from Asberg/Ahsberg (Åsberg) and Akasdotter (Åkesdotter), I assume that her middle name is "oäkta" and in which case isn't a name at all. Oäkta would be any child born out of wedlock. As there also is a father linked to her, I suppose that he either admitted paternity or that they ultimately married. 

#37 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:49 AM

jck;  you must be a pc user. 

RM8's main feature is to be a native mac program. This requires a much improved and simplified user interface but with no loss of features or right clicks. This is not a tablet interface but a user friendly mac interface without confusing nested paths to hidden features. 

I hope for few "new" features and for a focus on usability with fewer screens to click through. We mac users will also not miss the codeweaver program version locking up or crashing every few steps.

Jerry: the download from import feature sounds like a similar option in FTM 2017 to import an ancestry tree directly. However gedcom will probably be the route for customers lost due to the many years delay in a native mac version. The import from FTM only works for the long obsolete 2014 ancestry version.

Are you sayng that FTM2017 has a feature to download other peoples trees from ancestry? That would be a great time saver if i were included in Rootsmagic, especially when evaluatng DNA matchs who have enormous family trees.

#38 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

Five installations on the Blog between September 2 and September 23, 21 days/5 = average time between postings of 4.2 days. However, it has been eleven days since the last posting... Hmm, nothing new to show?

#39 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:52 PM

Isn't this a little silly? RootsMagic is castigated if they release nothing and again if they release some but not all, and still again if they don't adhere to a "schedule" established by the pace of their releases. They can't win.

That said, I've believed for years that software companies are insufficiently transparent regarding their plans. RootsMagic isn't alone in being secretive. It seems to be a shibboleth in the industry that disclosure will give competitors an advantage. Since that's the case, there little's point in inveighing against the practice and even less point in criticizing RM8 for its failings before we've seen it.

#40 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

Five installations on the Blog between September 2 and September 23, 21 days/5 = average time between postings of 4.2 days. However, it has been eleven days since the last posting... Hmm, nothing new to show?

Greedy people are never satisfied that they have enough. They’re like sharks that spend their entire life hunting and consuming. All the oceans in the world can’t satisfy these eating machines.”
― Frank Sonnenberg