50 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3570 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:52 PM

There is not an RM8 slot yet in these forums, so I will post here. The first RM8 blog post has appeared. There is not a whole lot of new information yet, but here are my initial takeaways.

• Beta testing is in progress with users. There is no indication of when the testing beta testing first started. The fact that testing is in progress is good news.
  • The blog entry includes a single screen capture from RM8. It's hard to gather too much information about the user interface from just a single static screen capture, but it definitely does appear to have a much more modern look and feel than RM7. My overall and very initial impression is very positive.
  • The rendering of color coding appears to be much improved.
  • It appears that you can tell who is highlighted by looking at the right panel, but it doesn't look like you can tell who is highlighted by looking at the main panel. The whole area of recognizing who was highlighted was a major weakness in RM7 in many situations, especially when using the side panel. It appears that efforts have been made to rectify this situation, but it's hard to tell for sure without a live system to play with.
  • Some places on the screen have words, but at other places on the screen RM8 appears to have gone over to the dark side by having only icons. I hate user interfaces that only have icons and that don't have words. We will have to see if there are any options in this regard, and if not I'll have to see how well I can adapt to having only icons and not words.
  • The color coding and the shape of the icons for sex seem to make sense. RM7 always seemed to get it backwards.

Jerry

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

Wow, that preview screen shows everything has changed. That will take some getting used to and training the eyes to look in totally different places! 

http://blog.rootsmag.../09/RM8-Win.png

I hope that if the icons do not have the option to add text, that at least when hovering over the icon, there will be a pop-up saying what the icon means. 

What does this mean in the blog?: "And of course, there is “one more thing” that should make our fans of “fruit” happy:" There is a picture below that statement, but I cannot figure out what "fruit" is displayed on the picture. It seems to be an exact same picture of the first picture, but blurrier. 

Disappointed to see that in the preview of Anna Jakobsdotter, I can't see her marriage date unless I look way down the screen to find her husband. If there are lots of siblings, I would need to drag the side bar to see the date of marriage. 

I hope there will continue to be that side bar which is in RM7 (left side) where you can see Index, Family, Bookmarks, History, Groups. The "Family" button is my favorite. 

I'm sharing a database with another family member. We've already purchased RootsMagic 7 (again) in order to get RootsMagic 8 for the low upgrade price of $19.95. If one of us doesn't care for the new look in version 8, can we still share the database - with one of using RM7 and other RM8? 

~ Debbie

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:59 AM

What does this mean?

What does this mean in the blog?: "And of course, there is one more thing that should make our fans of fruit happy:" There is a picture below that statement, but I cannot figure out what "fruit" is displayed on the picture. It seems to be an exact same picture of the first picture, but blurrier.

It just means that the RM window looks exactly like a Mac window should look like - i.e. a standard Mac appearance. The fruit is just referring to Apple.

Edit: And the one more thing was a standard Steve Jobs way of closing a major Apple announcement event, and this is still used by Tim Cook in a much less charismatic way at the end dog such events to introduce a surprise announcement. Apple fans know all about this, the rest can just yawn (but I do recommend watching a Jobs show on YouTube, particularly the original iPhone announcement which is recognised as a masterpiece in how to do technical announcements.)

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

I'm sharing a database with another family member. We've already purchased RootsMagic 7 (again) in order to get RootsMagic 8 for the low upgrade price of $19.95. If one of us doesn't care for the new look in version 8, can we still share the database - with one of using RM7 and other RM8? 

I expect not because I had inquired of the RootsMagician when I had to ponder the challenge of transferring the SQLiteTools wiki to a new system. It might not be worthwhile if there were major changes to the database structure that would render most of the accumulated scripts useless. At that time, he said there would be some changes that would affect some scripts. My guess is that interworking a database between RM7 and RM8 is likely a no-go, unlike between RM6 and RM7 where the tables from the former are the same in the latter which has an extra table for TreeShare that RM6 ignores.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

I think that the first three icons along the top left would correspond to Pedigree, Family, and Descendants views.  You'll note in the blog image that the name of the view is shown above the row of icons.

I'd imagine that the house icon a bit to the right of that section would take you to the home (root) person.

As to the icons on the right, the first, obviously, is Info, as that description is shown above it.  I'm speculating, but wonder if the third might be History and the fifth, Groups.  If so, both of these might be consistent with what's seen in the RM7 sidebar.

Hopefully, Tooltips functionality will be enabled within the program, allowing you to hover over an icon to display a description.

#6 RDHansen

RDHansen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

Clarification:
1. Can you purchase the upgrade RM7 for 19,95 and receive RM8 or do you need to purchase the whole RM7 for 29.95 to receive RM8 upon distribution?
2. If launching RM8, will it give you the ability to save all files in the RM7 format before converting all files, or does the user need to make sure they have a whole set saved exterior to their main database? I assume RM8 file will not be able to be opened in RM7.
And yes I do have backups, but it is making me question best practices I have utilized.
RD Hansen

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

1. was answered in the fb post. Just the upgrade for RM7

2. we can merely speculate but past practice for an upgrade was to make a backup of your current database on your old version RM because opening the database in the new version automatically converted it to the revised database structure. And I speculate that you won't be able to open a RM8 file in any earlier version.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3570 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

I have subfolders for each major version of RM, with the subfolders named things like RM1, RM2, RM3, etc. When a new major version comes along, I copy the current RMx database to the new RMy subfolder, leaving the old RMx folder and RMx database that it contains forever unchanged. Then I use the new version RMy software to open and presumably convert the RMx database that is stored in the RMy subfolder to become my initial RMy database.

Jerry

#9 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:46 PM

If I remember correctly on March 2 2019 version 8 was demoed at Rootstech2019. If RM8 was made public at that time can we see the new functions that they have demoed that they have already made public?

I'm not a fan of change just for changes sake, I am looking for more functionality and while that screen shot is very different I hope there are massive improvements in functionality: remember Windows version 8 when they discovered that many many people did not want that new user interface.

#10 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

NE

"New" interface is just Bruce's adapting to the superior native mac interface all apple users know and love.

It will take windows-oriented people used to the current horrible windows xp interface with a bogus mac layer that does not work some time to adapt. However going from awful to great and normal on a mac should be very pleasant.

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

• Beta testing is in progress with users. There is no indication of when the testing beta testing first started. The fact that testing is in progress is good news.

As long as they are thoroughly interested in testing and feeding back, I would hate to live through a repeat of the RM4 release.

If one of us doesn't care for the new look in version 8, can we still share the database - with one of using RM7 and other RM8?

I would agree with TomH, that would be extremely unlikely.

Hopefully, Tooltips functionality will be enabled within the program, allowing you to hover over an icon to display a description.

I think hover over will be very much needed for many users, otherwise the simplify goal wouls be lost.

I'm not a fan of change just for changes sake, I am looking for more functionality and while that screen shot is very different I hope there are massive improvements in functionality: remember Windows version 8 when they discovered that many many people did not want that new user interface.

If I stick with RM I will learn the new interface but apart from esthetics it's the functionality, power and smart programming behind the scenes I would be more interested in.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

If I remember correctly on March 2 2019 version 8 was demoed at Rootstech2019. If RM8 was made public at that time can we see the new functions that they have demoed that they have already made public?

At RootsTech 2019 we didn't get into new features. So those have not been demonstrated. We just showed the new interface. The blog will go over all of the screens before it's released. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:50 PM

Second blog entry installment:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3259

#14 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

I switched from TMG in late 2014 and went with RM because  it was more user friendly, to me, than any other package, although I did lose some functionality but eventually gained other features.  I still wish some of the features of TMG were available.

Because of that process I have licenses for several other software solutions. When one of those upgraded to a new version it completely overlaid the older version, even the trial copy. I needed to reinstall the older version when I decided that that new version was not worth the price. Will this upgrade to RM do this also or can I run two versions simultaneously?

Because I have only seen one screen shot it is hard to evaluate anything about version 8 but one thing is in question from that one screen. Can we customize what gets displayed on any one screen? If appears that the left pane on my main screen, where I have a list of all my database people, or groups, etc. may be missing.

I still think RM is the best way to go and I hope some of the things I would find useful will appear in the new version.

I started programming in 1972 and had my first PC in 1980, an Osborne. I got used to having access to almost everything. Most people don't want that kind of access so I understand where Rooty is coming from. It seems that I am losing that kind of access with almost everything that comes out today. The device wants to de everything.

Looking forward to more information on RM 8

#15 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

Some additional conjecture on the icons and more at https://www.geneamus...agic-8-big.html.

#16 aantiix

aantiix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

I prefer text over icons as well, though admittedly sometimes icons can make it look cleaner. However, I use keystrokes for almost everything and rarely touch my mouse. With text on buttons you can see the letter clearly for the keyboard shortcut, hopefully for icons there will be a guide or popup to show what the keyboard shortcuts are. Having to switch to mouse clicks would be painfully slow.

#17 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:27 PM

I was going to add a post but cannot seem to get images to work. I placed them on dropbox but only a blue square open up in the post box in rootsmagic forum.

#18 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:30 PM

If your Dropbox folder is password protected, the forum can't get access to the image.

If you post on a free, publically-available site (I like to use https://postimages.org/ ) make sure to copy the Direct Link into the forum's widget.

#19 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:30 PM

Installment three:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3266

#20 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3570 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:22 AM

Installment three:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3266

Interesting. So the gray navigation bar does include an option for words in addition to pictures. That's a really good thing.

I'm getting really curious where the information that was in the left sidebar is now located. I'm sure it's still somewhere, but I'm curious where.

Jerry