4 replies to this topic

#1 FOVeteran

FOVeteran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

If I don't record it, I lose it. And I prefer to put what I want to remember in my RootsMagic database. BUT, sometimes I have conversations or documents that are sensitive (contain social security numbers, information on living people, etc.).

I would like the option in the source window to privatize a source, and then the ability to exclude or include private sources from reports, exports, gedcoms, etc., in the same way that we exclude or include private facts now.

In addition, I would like the ability to privatize the repositories or part of their information. Some people don't want their contact information shared worldwide.

Right now, in order to maintain privacy, I have to NOT post or otherwise share my sources or repositories at all, or I have to print what I want to share to an rtf file and then modify it--which could be laborious and probably even impossible to be sure I would catch all of my private sources and private repositories.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

I endorse your request. Our diverse requirement for reporting, websites, et al call for more granular control over what gets outputted.

For now, I wonder if a parallel or custom fact marked private to which you attach such sources might serve a useful purpose. And does the privacy brace work in source templates? If so, maybe a parallel private source type with private braces around the entire sentence... Naah, all too fiddly with unpredictable outcomes. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

I too would like to see this!

I have wished for an option to exclude media from output, both would be very useful :-)

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:13 AM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:38 AM

For now, I wonder if a parallel or custom fact marked private to which you attach such sources might serve a useful purpose.

I don't store this type on information in Sources but I do in Custom Facts and I privitize various fact types via SQL before sharing, this concern has been posted before and really does need to be recognized.

One of my few custom facts is "Email" where the Date will be the date received, the Description a short header and the Note the full body of the email contents including the senders email address, in this case I certainly do not want to share that information anywhere, respect and maintain the privacy of the sender. I made the decision to store correspondence this way as Rootsmagic does not include the Correspondence List in the scope of Find Everywhere so another user adaption based on current program constraints. The other advantage I find with this method is I can Share this Email fact with anyone mentioned within the email.

I am sure many users are unwittingly sharing sensitive information to online services and I believe Rootsmagic needs to put protective measures in Place.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root