8 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

Looking for suggestions to cure recurring exception error in RM.

The following error pops up when clicking on an open Ancestry hint (light bulb) from the pedigree view in RM:

"Exception Eaccess Violation in module RootsMagic.exe, Read of access FFFFFFF9"

This freezes RM until I click on the "OK"  in the error dialog. RM then closes and I have to restart.

I have done the following:

Ran all the RM datatbase tools

Cleaned PC

Checked for virus/malware

Restarted PC

None of this helps.

For what it is worth, a whole series of issues with RM related to either Ancestry Hints or TreeShare have persisted on my PC every since the last Windows 10 update. No other programs or apps seem to be affected, only RM Ancestry interfaces.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

I can't recreate this. The Ancestry WebHints won't appear in the Person List so what view are you on when this happens?

When you cleaned your computer did you disconnect from the internet first and stay off while scanning?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

I can't recreate this. The Ancestry WebHints won't appear in the Person List so what view are you on when this happens?

When you cleaned your computer did you disconnect from the internet first and stay off while scanning?

Sorry,

I was in the pedigree view and going to the hint bulb from there.

No, I did not disconnect first, but I have done this recently disconnected. I can repeat the process and disconnect while scanning.

Another question - can I reinstall RM 7 and point the new install to to my old database and media folders?

Would the reinstall break the link to my Ancestry tree?

Thanks

Rick

PS -

Ran the PC clean process and scanned PC for viruses and malware with internet turned off. Also ran RM database tools again. Found nothing, but have not had the error recurr so far.

Thanks

Again

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

The connection to the Ancestry tree is inside the database. So it won't matter what computer you are working on. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 01:18 PM

The connection to the Ancestry tree is inside the database. So it won't matter what computer you are working on. 

Thanks Renee. Good to know. I was thinking of reinstalling RM because of the freezing problems with TreeShare. However, that seems to have been resolved. At least it has not recurred lately.

My other problem (not being able to update Ancestry from RM through TreeShare) is still an issue. As I knew would be the case, when you reconnect your RM tree to Ancestry, Ancestry resets (or reopens) all the hints you have previously worked. I tried to reaccept/or reject these hints using WebHints, but the action would not take. RM still showed the hint open (bulb on) and I have had to do it on the Ancestry side. RM will then display the correct hint status. This has to be done for every person (hint) in the tree.

In addition, if an event/fact/note/or source needs to be replaced or changed, TreeShare will not transfer the data from RM to Ancestry unless the Ancestry hints (that were reset because of the RM tree being reconnected to Ancestry) have been reaccepted/ or rejected first. In other words you have to reassociate sources, notes, and media to each fact or event where you previously accepted an Ancestry hint.  This means essentially "starting over" with each person in your tree where Ancestry hints are involved.

I am currently reviewing all members of my RM tree, against my Ancestry tree, and I am re-accepting/rejecting all hints that were reset by the re-load of my RM tree. This then allows me to share data from my RM tree back to Ancestry, once again.

I have noticed that any new hint (not acted upon prior to the database reconnection to Ancestry) seems to work fine. This indicates that there is some sort of broken links caused by the reconnection hint re-set.

Had I known just how big of a problem all this was going to be, I never would have re-loaded my RM Tree to Ancestry. Anyone thinking of doing this should carefully consider the consequences.

Thank you for your help
Rick

RickL

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:37 AM

Maybe this helps
https://sqlitetoolsf...for-next-Upload

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

Thanks Tom,

I have book marked this for future reference since I'm already going down the "hint review" road.

Rick

RickL

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:07 AM

Released 7.6.1 this morning that resolved the WebHint issue. 

FIXED: FamilySearch ordinance counts and icons weren't working right
FIXED: Ancestry WebHints couldn't be accepted / rejected properly

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

Released 7.6.1 this morning that resolved the WebHint issue. 

FIXED: FamilySearch ordinance counts and icons weren't working right
FIXED: Ancestry WebHints couldn't be accepted / rejected properly

Renee,

From what I can tell this seems to have resolved the Ancestry hint problems I have been having. It is possible that this was the issue and not the fact that I reconnected my RM tree to Ancestry. Of course the reset hints still require review and reacceptance, but at least the hint tools are workling correctly now.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL