• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cjenwild

cjenwild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

Most of my ancestors are from England and my maiden name is Smith. You might be able to imagine what my index looks like. When trying to figure out which of the 50 John or Elizabeth Smiths I want to choose from the index, it is most helpful to have a "born" date, yet for more distant ancestors, I only have a christening date. I have resorted to putting in a fake birth year just so I am in the ballpark, but it would be nice to have the option to choose to have the christening date as a sort parameter in the index. :)

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:09 AM

Most of my ancestors are from England and my maiden name is Smith. You might be able to imagine what my index looks like. When trying to figure out which of the 50 John or Elizabeth Smiths I want to choose from the index, it is most helpful to have a "born" date, yet for more distant ancestors, I only have a christening date. I have resorted to putting in a fake birth year just so I am in the ballpark, but it would be nice to have the option to choose to have the christening date as a sort parameter in the index. :)

Much more sorting and filtering options have been wished for over many years, we will just have to see what RM8 brings, I have read of quicker lookups so I remain hopeful for any improvements. I run a large database but thankfully not with Smith as a dominant surname however as any database grows the difficulty in differentiating between common Given-Surnames combinations increases.

The present version of Rootsmagic is NOT strong on geographic groupings and I hope for improvements there as geography is the next level to distinguish these families. I work a Surname in Ireland which has four fairly distinct geographic groupings in the 19th century so I would make Named Groups of Surname= and AnyFactPlace>Contains to analyse them on People View and Name the Groups like Smiths of Durham for example. Without wishing to be negative again People View does not allow for the inclusion of Given Name as a column for sorting and only allows sorting of a single column so if your SMITHS were intermingled with the SMYTH spelling there would still be a challenge to be overcome.

I work a lot in Ireland and whilst some refer to Baptism and some Christening everyone was BORN and I do give them an approximated Birth date of BEF the Baptism or Christening date. In the vast majority of cases this is accurate to within a year and since it’s an important vital I made the decision to do that years ago. If I tell you I have a Constantine Smith in my database your next questions will be "when and where was he born?" thus completing the golden trinity of genealogy, Names Dates, Places.

None of these genealogy challenges are new, they are as old as research itself and it’s high time software developers recognized them and programmed professional solutions. Rootsmagic 8 will be completely formed at present and being tested, such wishes for more research powers, filtering, sorting and geographic grouping have been on these boards for many many years. We will just have to wait and see how seriously development has taken those valid user needs and if they have cared to program helpful solutions.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

In the People View you can customize it and add the Christen date. 

Renee
RootsMagic