• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cjenwild

cjenwild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

I'm considering purchasing a Surface Go to replace my very old Samsung Android Tablet. The sole reason I am considering the Surface Go as opposed to another Android device is to run the full version of RootsMagic on a tablet sized device. Has anyone tried this and been pleased with the results? My concern is that the screen will just be too tiny to be useful.

I have a 13 in laptop and that's very useable for me, but I do most of my heavy duty research on a desktop with 2 screens! The Surface Go would principally be used as a tablet for reading, watching movies etc, but I would like to have the option of using RootsMagic away from home.

Thanks.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:03 AM

No experience with Surface Go. I can say that anything less than 11" is really difficult, especially touchscreen. I did make it work on an 8" Windows tablet but a mouse and keyboard were essential. With the flattening of the user interface in RM8, small screens may be even more challenging.

Your Surface Go tablet will be delivered in Windows 10S mode which won't allow you to install RM. You'll have to irreversibly switch out of it.

"To increase security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs only apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to permanently switch out of S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode, but you won't be able to turn it back on."

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 cjenwild

cjenwild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for your input. I had definitely planned on the keyboard, wasn't sure about the necessity of a mouse with the touch pad included with the keyboard. And sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the flattening of the user interface.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

By flattening, I mean that there will be fewer levels of windows by consolidating sub-window fields and functions in higher windows. Thus they will have more things on one screen.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 cjenwild

cjenwild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:28 PM

Got it, thanks.

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

I have a major brand small-form-factor Windows 10 PC with 128mb solid state memory  that was a little over $200.  The current version has 256mb.  It works with RootsMagic with over 20,000 individuals in my database.  I don't keep it on-line so I don't know if it has enough memory do  a Windows 10 update.

#7 aplucinik

aplucinik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

I have Rootsmagic on a Surface Go.   It works just fine.  Sure, the bigger the screen the better but I am still able to efficiently work in the database with my Surface Go as long as you have either the attached Microsoft keyboard or a 3rd party bluetooth keyboard.   Also, you do have the option of using a wireless bluetooth mouse with the surface Go.   But using the touch screen instead of a mouse works.

#8 cjenwild

cjenwild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments. I did get the Surface Go with a keyboard and it works just fine with RM. 

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6255 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

I'm sure RM must be very fast on it.