• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bjenn

bjenn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:21 PM

I have set up each of my grandparents as a different color. On each one, I have made sure to select "ancestors" for continuing the color coding. Then I enter parents for said grandparent and everything is still working. However, when I go to enter next set of parents, there is no color coding. So I go back into the root grandparent and re-select "ancestors" and then it goes back to color coding again. I am only working on one branch now because after entering all four grandparents, I wanted to find a sensible way to make progress rather than hopping back and forth between lines and forgetting something, so I don't know if it occurs in each line. In my mind, once you select this, forever after, everyone else should have that color. What am I doing wrong or do I misunderstand the process? Thanks

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:13 PM

Color coding propagates along family lines.  If the line of propagation hits someone already color coded, the original color is lost and is replaced by the new color.  In a long ago posting, I had suggested that in this case, some new third color could be substituted, but that change never happened.

In your case, are there any multiple marriages? I color coded my ancestors red. One of my ancestors was married three times.  His color coding looks OK for the first wife.  When I go to the branch with the second wife, she does not have any color coding. BUT the parents of the second wife are color coded red since another of my ancestors in a different branch had already been color coded red.

I hope this makes sense.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3526 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

Color coding is very reliable as far as what it actually does, but it has a couple of quirks as to what it actually does. I'm having a hard time understand exactly which quirk you have encountered.

For example, suppose you go to Pedigree View and place yourself at the left most position in Pedigree View. Then suppose you color color code each of your four grandparents and all their ancestors, with a different color for each grandparent. Does that look right? This should be a very easy test to try.

The two main quirks are 1)  if lines cross, only the last color is in effect and 2) color coding is static. Static color coding means that if you color code ancestors and then add a new ancestor, the new ancestor is not color coded until you redo the color coding.

Jerry

#4 bjenn

bjenn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

No, no crossing as of yet as I am only working on one branch now. I color coded each of my grandparents and then began work on only one group, the red group. All the other three lines are basically waiting to be worked on. So I started on my red line, which, not that it matters, is my paternal granddad line, entered great grandparents, no problem, they were red. Then entered great great grandparents and no color, just whatever the default is, I assume black. So I go back to my grandad, who is still red, and when you hit tools and color code, the selection I made previously to set him red and carry it out to ancestors doesn’t show as selected even though he is still red. I imagine I will have to elect it with each and every successive generation, which kind of defeats the purpose. If color is available as a selection, I could pick it on each and every generation but shouldn’t have to if apply to ancestors is selected. I am lost.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3526 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:42 AM

So you are entering new people, and the newly entered people have no color coding. That is how it works because color coding is not "dynamic". Which is to say, RM does not remember the color coding criteria for you and does not re-apply the criteria for you as you add new people to your database. If you already had all your ancestors entered and then did color coding, the color coding would be as you expect.

The absence of dynamic color coding has been a complaint from users ever since color coding was introduced in RM4 in 2008. The developers mentioned that they had intended to include dynamic color coding in RM4, but they had problems with it. Therefore, they pulled it from the product to get RM4 out the door in a timely fashion, with the expectation that dynamic color coding would be added back in later. But it was never added back in later.

Jerry

#6 bjenn

bjenn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:54 AM

Thanks Jerry, that makes sense now.