26 replies to this topic

#21 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, that would be the normal process. I wonder if you happened to hit Ancestry at a time it was having issues when you made that new tree. Experiment with a copy of your database and make a new tree and see if the same issue happens. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#22 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, that would be the normal process. I wonder if you happened to hit Ancestry at a time it was having issues when you made that new tree. Experiment with a copy of your database and make a new tree and see if the same issue happens. 

Renee,

I'm assuming by experiment you mean make a copy of my RM database and give it a dummy name, then connect it to Ancestry and make a new tree with that name?Just want to be sure this will not cause Ancestry to reset hints on my actual database. I guess not since I am not disconnecting it.

Rick

RickL

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

Right, just a copy (disconnect the copy from the existing tree) then upload as a new Ancestry tree. See if it has the same issue then. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#24 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:21 AM

Right, just a copy (disconnect the copy from the existing tree) then upload as a new Ancestry tree. See if it has the same issue then. 

Renee,

OK I have completed the test. The same issue exists with the dummy RM database and the new test Ancestry tree. There are just some facts/events that either the sources, media, or notes will not transfer from RM to Ancestry using TreeShare.

I appreciate your help, but I have a work around that I have been using, and I guess I will have to continue to use in these cases. I go to the Ancestry tree first for the person I am working, and I work all the hints there. I either ignore or accept them to close the hint. This closes the hint in RM as well. I then return to the person in RM and use TreeShare to sync my RM tree to my Ancestry tree. When I do this the data transfers to Ancestry OK. If I do not close the hints first, the data will not transfer.

(BTW there were some 6-7 pop up error messages that occured while I was connecting the dummy RM tree to Ancestry. The messages did not state what the error was, only that it was sending a report to RM ??

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#25 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

Renee,

While working with my RM tree this weekend, I decided to run one additional test concerning the TreeShare failure to load data to Ancestry.

After running all the database tools, and scanning my PC for any virus or registry issues, I created a new (from scratch) test database in RM. I manually (not copied or drag and drop) used details for a husband and wife and entered them into the new database. I created new folders for both media and backup. I also placed copies of some media into the new media directory.  I reset all the file locations to point the new database to these folders.

Next, I connected the new database to Ancestry and created a new Ancestry tree. Everything should have been completely separate from both my old database and my old Ancestry tree. Almost immediately there were webhints for Ancestry. I worked those through WebHints and cleared them all. This cleared them in Ancestry as well. I then used TreeShare to compare my RM and Ancestry data, and moved data both from RM to Ancestry and visa versa. As far as I can tell, everything worked perfectly. It is also running a lot faster, maybe just because of the small test size. I also tried pulling the media from my old media directory, as well as the new one, by changing the paths in properties, but this seemed to have no affect. It is possible that something may also be wrong with my media directory, but that seems unlikely. I think it is a database problem.

This makes me think that something is either corrupted in my old RM data base, or in my old Ancestry tree, or both. I believe I need to recreate my whole RM data base, not by copying the file, but rather by drag and drop, and also possibly recreate my media directory. Then reset all my folder settings in RM. Finally, I can connect the new database to a new tree in Ancestry. 

I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
Rick

RickL

#26 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

Since this was an isolated issue I believe your problem was an upload on a bad day for Ancestry. I would do as you planned and get a new Ancestry tree. Cleaning your RM database first is always a good plan. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#27 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

Since this was an isolated issue I believe your problem was an upload on a bad day for Ancestry. I would do as you planned and get a new Ancestry tree. Cleaning your RM database first is always a good plan. 

Renee,

FYI

I have completed the replacement of both my RM data base and my Ancestry tree. This appears to have solved the issues. I'm not sure which was corrupted. However, of course, reconnecting to a new Ancestry tree reset all my hints. These now have to be reviewed and either accepted or rejected (again).  :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help

Rick

RickL