Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

This is new issue (for me anyway)

Using TreeShare to upload data from RM to ANC

The TreeShare screen displays RM data, for say an event, and the ANC side shows blank

I can upload the event from RM to ANC, but sources, and sometimes notes, do not upload

This is also occuring where an event already exists in ANC, but trying to upload additional source, notes, media, etc fails

I have tried deleting the event from ANC and then reloading from the RM side, but the same issues still exists.

Have worked with this all day but have not found a reason or resolution

Anyone else having this issue?

Anyone know of a fix?

(BTW - have run all the data base tools, restarted PC, etc etc but nothing helped)

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

I may have at least partly solved this issue.
Background -
Because of TreeShare freezing, I had to reload my RM tree to Ancestry. This partly solved the freezing problem (transactions are still very slow). However, this reset all my hints in Ancestry, causing me to have to review them all and clear the ones that I had already reviewed. If the hint was one I had previously accepted, I was just  marking it "ignore", thinking I already had the data.
Result - 
If a hint has been marked "ignore" for a person, any attempt to update that fact or event from the RM side will be blocked by TreeShare. At least that is what I am seeing. If instead of marking the hint "ignore", I just marked it "accept" and then TreeShare works ok.

The issues raised by reloading my RM tree to Ancestry has created a whole host of unforseen problems. 
Anyone else considering this step should be aware of the amount of "rework" that it will likely cause.
FYI
Rick

RickL

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

Was it all facts for the person or just those on the Person row that it effects?

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

Was it all facts for the person or just those on the Person row that it effects?

Renee,

It appears that it is only for the person I have selected for TreeShare to review, and then only if that person has hints in Ancestry, and then only for those facts or events that have hints that I have rejected (or ignored). [Remember, I rejected or ignored reset hints that I had already worked in the past because of having to reload my tree to Ancestry. I did not realize that rejecting or ignoring a hint could block a TreeShare update from the RM side, It appears that it does. If those hints are accepted instead, the updates go through ok.] 

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

Renee,

After re-reading your response, I'm not clear as to what "person row" means.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

Open the Edit Person screen and the very first row is the Person row where you enter their name. It also has the general notes, media and sources attached to it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

Open the Edit Person screen and the very first row is the Person row where you enter their name. It also has the general notes, media and sources attached to it. 

Oh, ok

The problem is definitely related to the status of any fact/event that has a hint in Ancestry that has been ignored. If you try to update the source or notes for that fact or event through TreeShare, nothing will update to ancestry. If you accept the hint in Ancestry first, then TreeShare will update Ancestry. As a test, I tried to delete the fact/event in Ancestry and then re-try to reload it from RM through TreeShare and the same thing happens, unless I first accept the hint. I discovered all this when I reloaded my tree to Ancestry because of the TreeShare freezing issue. All my Ancestry hints were re-set to open, so I started reviewing them all and trying to update Ancestry from RM through TreeShare if I discovered they needed it. This only seems to happen if the hint has been ignored on the Ancestry side. If the hint is there but has not been ignored (ok if  accepted or no action) then TreeShare seems to work ok.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Renee,

Seeking second opinion........

As previously stated, I had to reload my RM tree to Ancestry because TreeShare was freezing. That "of course" reset all the Ancestry hints. In the process of reviewing persons in my RM tree, I was re-dispositioning all the hints, in some cases rejecting or ignoring them because I already had the information. As I reviewed the hints , I found some data that needed to be changed or updated in my RM tree. When I tried to use TreeShare to update those changes back to Ancestry, they would not update unless I had already cleared the hints in Ancestry. As a result of all of this, I tested a different approach. Once I had completed the review and made any needed changes to RM, I deleted the person from my Ancestry tree, then used TreeShare to re-add the person from RM to Ancestry. This "of course" resets the Ancestry hints for that person again, and I have to run through them and turn them back off, but all my RM data for the person loads back to Ancestry perfectly, thus resyncing my RM and Ancestry trees for that person.

Am I missing something that will cause other problems if I use the approach?

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6251 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

Does that restore on Ancestry all the links with parents, siblings, spouses and children and both sides of spousal events (Marriage,...)?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

Does that restore on Ancestry all the links with parents, siblings, spouses and children and both sides of spousal events (Marriage,...)?

Tom,

Yes I think so, but I have not thoroughly tested that far. I really don't want to have to resort to that. It was just an effort born out of the frustration caused by TreeShare not working. Other than the issue with the open Ancestry hints blocking a transfer from RM to Ancestry,  I have not been able to identify a cause. Until this problem is fixed, I am resorting to opening both Ancestry and RM at the same time, flipping back and forth between them, and copy/pasting data that needs to transfer to achive a sync. In other words I'm back to where I was pre-TreeShare. But at least it is reliable. Just another "TreeShare work-a-round"........ :wacko:

Rick

RickL

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

I haven't been able to recreate this, but am seeing an issue with Accept/Rejecting Ancestry hints in RM. But I can move data. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

I haven't been able to recreate this, but am seeing an issue with Accept/Rejecting Ancestry hints in RM. But I can move data. 

OK, I'll keep watch and capture some detailed specifics to forward

Rick

RickL

#13 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

OK, I'll keep watch and capture some detailed specifics to forward

Rick

Renee,

Quick update

1st - the problem with the Yearbook error  has not recurred for me since the RM update, Thanks

2nd - the problem with TreeShare not accepting updates from RM to Ancestry continues.

As a test I selected one person with some updates that needed to be made to check what happens. First I made sure all updates were completed on the RM side. Next I accepted all of the 7 Ancestry hints open in RM. When I checked, Ancestry still showed all 7 hints hints open, so I went into Ancestry and accepted all of the hints. 

Next, I tried to make the source and fact note updates to Ancestry from RM in TreeShare. Nothing happened. Ancestry would not accept the changes.

It appears to me that when you reload your RM tree to Ancestry more than just the hint links are broken. Any data updates made previously also seem to be messed up in Ancestry. Essentially I have to completely start over syncing my RM tree to my Ancestry tree manually. TreeShare will not do it. To confirm this, I created a new "dummy" person in RM and went through the steps of adding and then updating through TreeShare to Ancestry. I created a birth death and burial fact for the person. Two of the three sources loaded in error (completely different records). The third would not load at all. All attempts to load corrections through TreeShare failed to load.

I have run all of the RM database tools, reloaded my RM tree to Ancestry, and re-accepted the Ancestry hints that were reset to "open" as a resulted of reloading my RM tree. None of this helped.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. At this point TreeShare is basically worthless to me.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#14 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

Tom,

Yes, as far as I have been able to determine, all relationships are restored. I have only used this method [delete a person from Ancestry and then re-add through TreeShare] in those cases where multiple changes to a person's RM profile have made it difficult to correct/resync the person's record in Ancestry. By deleting the person from Ancestry and then re-adding from RM, all RM data is perfectly transferred to Ancestry. However, the old problem of having to clear the Ancestry hints comes up again, because Ancestry will reset them all from scratch.

FYI

Rick

RickL

#15 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Renee,
I hate to keep beating this drum, and with RM ver 8 coming it may not matter anyway, but I still find that if there are Ancestry hints that have not been accepted/ignored/rejected then TreeShare will not transfer data from RM to Ancestry until these hints have  been cleared first.

Something must have changed on the Ancestry side because clearing the hints in TreeShare, or WebHints does not clear the hints in Ancestry. If I go to Ancestry and work the hints there first, then RM will show the hints cleared. TreeShare will then move data to Ancestry.

I don't know if having reconnected my RM tree to Ancestry, which causes Ancestry to reset hints, has anything to do with this or not, but I'm consistently seeing this on every tree member I work.

FYI
and I promise to drop it going forward  :wacko:

Thanks
Rick

RickL

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

I think I'm going to need access to your tree and database. I have not seen other reports of this issue, and cannot recreate it on my own.  Open a support ticket Attn: Renee so I can make arrangements on that. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#17 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

Renee,

Ticket has been opened

One additional thought....this problem seems to only occur when trying to move data from RM to A.com and not the other way around. It also does not seem to be a problem when dealing with new hints or hints that were never acted upon in RM before I reconnected my database to A.com. This seems to imply that it does have something to do with A.com's process for "resetting" hints when an RM database is disconnected and then reconnected to A.com.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#18 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:15 AM

Renee,

Ticket has been opened

One additional thought....this problem seems to only occur when trying to move data from RM to A.com and not the other way around. It also does not seem to be a problem when dealing with new hints or hints that were never acted upon in RM before I reconnected my database to A.com. This seems to imply that it does have something to do with A.com's process for "resetting" hints when an RM database is disconnected and then reconnected to A.com.

Thanks

Rick

Renee,

FYI - The last few days I have been working on a new branch of my tree in RM. For each "new" person added I have been able to search and maintain Ancestry with TreeShare and WebHints with no issues. I am becoming more convincd that the issues I have been having are related to members of my tree prior to the time of reconnection of my data base to Ancestry.

Rick

RickL

#19 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8456 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:22 AM

It does seem to be tree specific. How did you reconnect your database to an existing tree?

Renee
RootsMagic

#20 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

It does seem to be tree specific. How did you reconnect your database to an existing tree?

I'm probably using the wrong terminology. I "connected" my existing RM tree to a new Ancestry tree (using a similar name). I thought that was what you had to do.

Rick

RickL