• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 allanpeter1

allanpeter1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:08 AM

When will RootsMagic be optimised for Mac.?  When I next upgrade the Mac operating system from Mojave (10.14.1) will RootsMagic still run?  (This might be being discussed on a Facebook forum, but I do not use Facebook)

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:13 AM

RM8 will run natively on both a PC and a Mac. The release date for RM8 has been announced as being for "this year", nothing more specific than that.

RM7 runs on a Mac with the assistance of a wrapper that provides PC emulation that allows the native PC version of RM to run on a Mac. I'm not a Mac person, but I believe that absent RM8, the wrapper will soon need to be updated to allow RM7 to continue to run on a Mac as the Mac operating system continues to be updated. I would rather that someone much more knowledgeable than me about Macs speak to new updates for the wrapper. The best solution will be the release of RM8 which will render moot the issue of the wrapper needing to be updated.

Jerry

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:15 AM

The current wrapper to allow RM to run on a Mac will not work on the next version of MacOS, Catalina. That is because Catalina will not allow the execution of 32-bit applications, only 64-bit applications, and the current wrapper is a 32-bit application. (It does not matter whether the application running under the wrapper, such as RM, is 32-bit or 64-bit.)

The wrapper is a stripped down version of a product called CrossOver that allows Windows programs to run on the Mac. Users of the full version of CrossOver are expecting a 64-bit version to be available around the time that Catalina becomes generally available, so in the next month or two.

Whether RM will be prepared to pay whatever the cost is for a matching updated version of the wrapper is a question for them, but if RM8 becomes available in a similar timeframe, or a little longer given our expectations are for sometime in 2019, then maybe it wouldnt be sensible for them to pay that cost.

That might leave some RM for Mac users with the issue of whether to delay implementing Catalina until RM8 becomes acceptably reliable. I can foresee interesting times ahead.

(Windows users might consider such concerns as rather academic, but many Mac users tend to update to new versions of the OS rather more enthusiastically and promptly than Windows ones.)

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

CrossOver is working on the 64-bit wrapper. That is part of their continued support for RM7.  When we have our native Mac version we will no longer need CrossOver support. The wisest thing to do is wait for the CrossOver 64-bit wrapper or RM8 before installing Catalina on your Mac. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

Mac users do tend to install OS updates more quickly than Windows people due to the stability of the mac os and the yearly cycle. Microsoft tends to focus on a 5 or 10 year cycle with major changes (and a generous supply of impressive bugs).

However, wise mac users wait for one or two bug fix updates to a new version and check what expert software reviewers say about the OS. This puts cautious users in a December timeframe after the normal yearly late September launch.

It is amazing to me how many people install beta OS versions and stand hours in line for the newest iphone, etc.  Such cannon fodder paves the way for the rest of us.

#6 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:46 PM

Well, the latest Catalina beta (10.15) still does not allow the installer to do its job, so CrossOver still has not updated the wrapper for RootsMagic. 

#7 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

I would have assumed that this was the case.

After all. as yet, we Mac users have had no instruction to download an RM update!

#8 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

Crossover can't provide an updated RootsMagic 7 package because there isn't yet a working solution for Apple's decision to prevent any software application that makes 32-bit system calls from running on 'Catalina Beta', or on the release version of Catalina which is still not due to land until late-September at the earliest.

The better way to keep a check on 'progress' would be to monitor relevant discussion threads on:

- the WineHQ Mac Forum - https://forum.winehq...ewforum.php?f=9  e.g. https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32590 

- the Crossover Mac Forum: https://www.codeweav.../general/?;t=27  e.g. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;msg=212891 

There simply is nothing the RootsMagic developers, or anyone else can do about RootMagic 7 until/unless an effective programming solution is found by Wine developers in partnership with Crossover and others, which simplistically means "A way of programatically convincing MacOS (Catalina and later) that it is running 64-bit processes when it isn't!".  And before anyone asks the obvious question. No, simply installing 32-bit Windows software in a 64-bit Wine Wrapper won't work because the resulting app still contains the essential 32-bit system calls, just as real Windows systems do, which is what the next MacOS version is/will be designed to recognise and prevent from running.  In contrast Microsoft has come out strongly against dropping the ability to run 32-bit software on 64-bit Windows systems; and major Linux developers, such as Ubuntu, have stated that, although they are unlikely to continue to release 32-bit builds of their future OS releases, they will continue to maintain their OS's ability to run 32-bit software.

Sorry to say this, but anyone running 'Catalina Beta' on a production system, i.e. a system which is required to work reliably and preserve user data securely, only has themselves to blame if any of their software no longer works, or if any data becomes corrupted, as Apple clearly advises beta users NOT to deploy Beta Versions on such systems.  I would extend that to anyone intending to install the release version of Catalina immediately on release really needs to think seriously about the potential impact if something goes belly up.  Thinking back, Mojave certainly wasn't an easy ride for many users and there have been continuing problems with far from perfect updates since its initial release.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

1. Developers with 32 bit apps have had YEARs of warning to update them to 64 bit. They did not need to wait for Catalina to appear. Most have switched long ago to 64 bit and are currently running on Mojave just fine. Codeweavers and Overdrive (library books) are among the few who have not kept up. Mac users can simply run a systems report and see their 32 vs 64 bit app. Most left are Apple's which will be replaced in Catalina

2. Mojave, a performance rather than a new feature update, has worked smoothly with only minor hiccups. It does obviously pay to wait out the initial launch while the cannon fodder users check for serious bugs.

3. The real issue with Rootsmagic is the absence of a native mac version which still remains a fond but unfulfilled wish.

#10 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

Rooty is quite right - (1) Apple have been warning about this move for a considerable period and (2) there haven't been any significant problems with Mojave that I'm aware of. Certainly, I have had no problems with RM or any other programs, or indeed with Mojave itself.

As to (3), native Mac version of RM one can only wait and hope. But I would certainly hope to be upgrading to Catalina by the end of the year, with or without RM. It's something I hope won't happen, but it may come to that. I have been a Mac user for many more years than I have been an RM user and I'm not about to change OS just for one piece of software. Nor am I prepared to put a Windows partition on my HD for the sake of one program. 

#11 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

ftipple makes a point #3 obvious to mac users but probably not to windows people.

the mac os is so superior to windows than no user would consider switching back and few would consider putting a windows partition on a mac and putting up with the hassle, instability and malware endemic to the microsoft world.

RM7 inside a crossover bottle is bad enough and has become increasingly dis-functional and unacceptable. A native mac version in the very near future or forget us as possible customers.