7 replies to this topic

#1 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

How are RM users capturing and recording Find A Grave ID#s? Are you just adding the # as a Fact?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3524 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:40 PM

I don't record Find A Grave ID's, per se. I use Find A Grave as a source. The Find A Grave ID only shows up in my RM database in the sense that my sources that come from Find A Grave are tagged with a screen capture image of the Find A Grave screen for the person. The ID is visible in the screen capture image, but I don't specifically store it in any other place in RM.

Jerry

#3 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Jerry

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

I have a Master Source for Find A Grave, and copy the essential text (minus all the ads) into the citation's Research Notes. That includes scrolling down the Find A Grave page to grab the contributor info.

That way, all of that info can be included in the End Notes of my Publisher reports.

#5 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

I have a Find A Grave master source and add the ID to the citation detail for each fact (Burial, etc.) linked to the source.

Citation Detail example...

Find A Grave Memorial# nnnnnnnnn

#6 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 09:22 AM

I set up a FindAGrave.com fact type. I then copy the full URL into the description field. I do the same thing for several other genealogy websites.

Additionally, I print the actual webpages in PDF format and attach the PDF as a media record for that person. That way if the website closes I still have all the info.

I also create PDFs on other items such as a castle, monastery, battle, cemetery, etc and attach as needed to various people.

#7 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:45 AM

I save the Find A Grave and then print it out.  That way it does not contain the ads, etc.  Then I create a source for each cemetery and in the details for that source include the information for each person buried there when I use it as a source for birth, death, marriage, etc.

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

How are RM users capturing and recording Find A Grave ID#s? Are you just adding the # as a Fact?

I have a master source for FAGM, (I sat up a field for the FAGM memorial number in the source citation) 

I select it when I am entering the FAGM memorial as an RM citation

I look up the person on FAGM and bring up the record

FAGM has a "save to" button that appears just below the person's basic info

You can save the record details to your clip board and then past them into the details view of the RM source

(you can also save to Ancestry from the same button)

It goes really fast and saves all the necessary info with  minimum retyping.

Rick

RickL