3 replies to this topic

#1 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:13 PM

I know I have approached this subject awhile back but I am hoping maybe something has changed. I want to import my Legacy Family Tree data into RM7 so I can us RM7 full time. My Legacy data file includes stories (Legacy calls them "Stories" and they have a dedicated icon for them) and Legacy has a data field that captures Find A Grave ID#s. I have created a GEDCOM 5.5 file from Legacy with the boxes for "Export stories as events" and "Export all other ID#s" as events. RM won't import these data points using the GEDCOM file. I also tried the RM "Import from a Legacy file" process with still no success. I have a lot of data I will lose when I switch to RM. Any ideas?

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

I know you can look at data in a gedcom using Notepad or other test editor.   Like Residence is used for census records on other software.  I have changed it in a gedcom, using Notepad or a text editor. Residence to Census for a transfer to RM.  You may want to consider doing that. And you may not want to do it as a transfer but after the gedcom is in RM.  Figure out where you want the life stories to be.  Which can be in the Note section for a fact or person, and then copy the "Life Story " to the clipboard and past it into RM. 

Someone else may have another solution. also. 

Nettie

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

OK, thanks Nettie.

#4 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

Issue resolved. I used Legacy's "create a GEDCOM for Legacy", not create a GEDCOM 5.5. It worked and imported all of my stories and Find A Grave ID#s.