1 reply to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

I use Dropbox to copy my RM database to my iPhone and my iPad. The normal way to do so is to copy my RM database to a folder called C:\Users\jbryan\Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic\ on my Windows system, where jbryan is my Windows username. But recently, doing so didn't work. By that I mean that having done the copy process, my iPhone and my iPad couldn't see the new copy of my RM database.

Instead, I discovered that there was a new folder on my system called C:\Users\jbryan\Dropbox\Apps\RootsMagic(1)\  The old folder without the (1) was still there, so there were two Apps folders for RootsMagic, one folder called RootsMagic and the newer folder called RootsMagic(1). When I copied my RM database to RootsMagic(1) folder under the Apps folder, my iPhone and iPad could then see the new RM database.

So I have a solution to getting my RM database to my mobile devices, but it's puzzling. I didn't create the RootsMagic(1) folder, and I don't know what process did so. And I don't know why Dropbox on my mobile devices looks in the RootsMagic(1) folder rather than looking in the older RootsMagic folder. It all works, but an explanation of what's going on would be a nice solution to a curious puzzle.

Jerry

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:45 PM

I suspect it has arisen rather uniquely on your system. Mine still has the original folder and I've just successfully tested that copying a file into it results in it being seen on Dropbox by the RM app on my Android phone.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.