• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aantiix

aantiix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

I've been doing genealogy for years but have just recently started using RootsMagic. I did a search around the forums and came up blank for my biggest issue, though I imagine it's been asked before.

Is there a way to add an alternate spelling of a Surname to a Family or group of people instead of one at a time to each person? If I attempt to add my own custom fact, it of course wants to associate the spelling with spouses as well. As anyone with family that has immigrated to different countries (which is virtually everyone) you find there are times where the Surname changes when they immigrate, and even fluidly changes after settling into a country. For example, I have relatives with the last name of Konknoren which was was changed to Kruschke, which sometimes was spelled as Kruichke and other times spelled as Kruske. Instead of going through each member of the family and adding four alternate names, is there a better or easier way of doing this? As I'm a software developer and DBA I can easily go into the SQLite database and run a query but I'd rather not do that. Also, if I add additional people say a month from now, I may forget that I need to add four alternate Surnames for that person as well.

#2 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

Apart from SQLite, I do not see a way to add a surname to multiple people. You can save your queries so a month later you can re-run them on the new people / groups.

I am 50% Arabic 50% Belgian and have Arabic, French, Dutch, English translations in my tree all over the place, with a lot of different spellings between generations. As a direct example, my Arabic great grand parents have only their name in Arabic since they never travelled abroad, my Arabic grand parents have their name in Arabic, French (since my father immigrated to Belgium) and English (one uncle immigrated to England) but I have my name in one spelling only (French translation of an Arabic name) since all my documents are with latin letters. To make things simple, my daughters have their name in Russian in their Russian passport and French in their Belgian. I work manually and not SQLite on this since I source all my spellings with the appropriate document.

If you add names with SQLite in NameTable, I think the NameType 7 is for spellings, 3 for Immigration and 5 for Married.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

This is a challenge for developers and suggestions have been offered. One such possible solution is Soundex however it doesn't always cover all the variations of the same Surname and often includes false positives. My own Surname where the spelling variations falls into two Soundex codes therefore a acility to sort by Soundex would not cover my needs.

My chosen solution was to apply the most statistically common Surname spelling to all those individules of that family name who do not have that spelling through SQL. This is applied to the Name Table as 'other spelling' so when I browse the Index with Alternate Names turned on I focus on that most common Surname spelling.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6214 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

You may find my SQLite script to Copy Fact to Named Group to be useful as a model. It does not work for Names which are stored in the NameTable, only for facts stored in the EventTable. https://sqlitetoolsf...-fact-to-group/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.