Jump to content


Photo

Bug with LinkAncestry table


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MPIIIMan

MPIIIMan

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

I discovered an issue related to marriage records and data in the LinkAncestry table. This is a pretty complex problem that I found while studying the SQL Lite database that RM uses.

 

On Ancestry when you have a marriage record for a husband and wife you can often view the record and see it from the husbands point of view, and the wife's point of view, Please see the screenshots below for what I am referring to.

 

Here is the view of the husband:

Husband.png

 

Here is a view of the wife:

Wife.png

 

If you look at the URL they are different for each view.

If you look at the URL for the husband, dbid=9093&h=517409 is the data that gets saved into the LinkAncestryTable.extID field as 517409:9093

This is getting saved properly for the husband. This is not getting saved properly for the wife though. The data in the LinkAncestryTable for the wife is the same as the husbands.

Hers should be 3328685:9093.

 

I have found this problem exists in many marriage records and not just in this one case. There seems to be a bug with the code that downloads the Ancestry tree and determines the data saved into the extID field.

 

The problem can also happen in an opposite manner. The wife's ancestry data is correct and the husbands is wrong (same as wife's).

 

Additionally some more info to provide. This marriage record also provides a birth event / citation. When I look up the LinkAncestryTable data for that, it is accurate.



#2 Bob C

Bob C

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

This is due to the difference in philosophy between A and RM. A treats marriage as an individual fact and RM as a family fact. I don't know which one is correct but the GEDCOM standard captures the marriage record as part of the Family structure.



#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

I can't tell without much further study if this is actually a bug or if it is working as designed. As Bob C already said, the underlying problem is that RM uses family facts (couple facts) for marriages as does GEDCOM. Ancestry's data model does not. With Ancestry's data model, a marriage is recorded twice as an individual fact, once for each spouse.

 

Getting TreeShare to work in any sort of reasonable fashion in this environment must have been a terrific challenge.

 

Jerry



#4 MPIIIMan

MPIIIMan

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

The same thing happens with Family source events that are Divorces. I did some digging around and found the following:

 

I found an entry in the LinkAncestryTable with the extID that matched the screenshot below. The entry in the table has LinkType of 4, so the LinkAncestryTable.rmID field links to CitationTable.CitationID. In the CitationTable record the OwnerType is 7, which indicates an Alternate Name fact and the OwnerID then links to NameTable.PersonID. But this person found in the NameTable has nothing to do with this record in the LinkAncestryTable. Proof below:

 

DivorceRecord.png

 

DatabaseBug.png

 

Definitely a bug somewhere