5 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

1) Is there a way to print a report of Ancestry hints associated to persons in RM tree?

If so I haven't been able to find it in either RM or A.com.

2) Is there a way to display Ancestry hint light bulb in the "People" view?

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

Unfortunately the answer is no to both. The hints are computed each time the database and/or person is opened and are not stored in  the  database.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:24 AM

RM's stated reason for not including light bulbs in People View is that it could overwhelm the system because it RM would have to query ancestry for light bulbs for everybody in the database.

It has always seemed to me that RM's design for light bulbs and People View could be changed to display light bulbs only for those individuals currently on the screen. If it were done this way, the load on the system would be less than the current load on the system when light bulbs are displayed in Descendant View when there are a lot of Descendants. Also, I frequently use People View filtered by group. Such groups are often very small, measured in dozens or maybe the group is small enough all to fit on the screen in People View. Light bulbs would be really nice in these cases.

In fact, Descendant View itself could benefit from this change. Descendant View can become extremely slow when hints are enabled if there are a lot of of descendants. The slowness would be solved by displaying light bulbs only for the people currently on the screen.

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:53 AM

Then, some would complain about not seeing light bulbs when they scroll..

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:24 AM

Thanks guys....you have sort of indirectly answered my question. The immediate reason I needed this was to help identify individuals with hints so I could very quickly review them. The decendent view does show the bulbs for the head as well as decendents. I missed that and I can use that view to get what I need.

What started all this mess was a software glitch after the latest Windows 10 update, which caused me to have to create a new tree in A.com, which reset all my hints including those I had cleared previously. I am using a combination of "people view" and groups to highlight my research status for different persons in my tree. (example - I put  {√} in the "prefix" field when I consider the research for the person to be "complete".) The assumption is that all hints had been cleared previously when I assigned the {√} flag. I also have a group for that status flag, which I bring up in people view and then I can see everyone with completed research. However, the afore mentioned reboot of my A.com tree brought hints back for all these folks. Many of the new hints are for data that I had actually previously loaded to A.com, so it is very quick to just "ignore" those, etc, etc. Anyway, being able to see the bulbs in the decendent view, for the members of my group, helps to make faster work of clearing the hints.

Sorry to "bore" with all this.

Thanks again to all for your help

Rick

RickL

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3591 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

Then, some would complain about not seeing light bulbs when they scroll..

I would picture it working in such a way that if you scrolled slowly or if you scrolled and waited a short time, the hints would gradually start appearing. It would be similar to when you are in Family View with hints showing and do something that moves you to a totally different family. There are not hints that show up for the new family instantaneously, but the hints do gradually start appearing, and usually for me it's pretty quick.

Jerry