#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

Just wondering -

Is anyone else experiencing very sow response or freezes in TreeShare after the recent Microsoft Windows 10 update?

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:34 AM

Speed seems the same for me. Check that Microsoft didn't turn on your Windows Defender and making it conflict with your personal firewall, and antivirus software if installed. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

Speed seems the same for me. Check that Microsoft didn't turn on your Windows Defender and making it conflict with your personal firewall, and antivirus software if installed. 

Thanks for the response Renee,

I checked and Windows Defender is not on. I use Kaspersky and all checks out OK. I'm guessing maybe a temporary problem at Ancestory, or an issue with the internet. No other programs seem to be having any issues.

Rick

RickL

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

Renee,

Problem has gotten worse.

Now getting error message popup each time I try to accept an update to Ancestry in TreeShare.

Exception

Eaccess violaion in module RootsMagic.exe at 0006498B

Access violation at address

012B184F in module "RootsMagic.exe". Read of address 000003D8.

Any ideas?

Rick

RickL

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

Access Violations errors can have many causes. I am going to give you a list of things to try and rule out the issue, after you have restarted your computer.

1. In RootsMagic go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. If any issues are found run them a second time. Check if that resolved the error.
  2. Run your anti-virus software program. Do a full scan. Windows 7 or later versions will have Windows Defender installed and should run that. If you don't have an anti-virus program then download Microsoft Security Essentials (free).
  3. Download and install CCleaner (free) and run both the Cleaner and Registry tools. You do want it to fix the registry problems. When given the option to save a restore point please do so, just in case you need it. You can download CCleaner from here - https://www.ccleaner...leaner/download
  4. Download and install Malwarebytes (free) and do a full scan of your computer. You will want to remove any bugs found. You can download Malwarebytes from here - https://www.malwareb...m/mwb-download/

There is no need to purchase the full version of CCleaner or Malwarebytes. The free versions will work just fine.

After doing that shut down your computer and restart it. Then open RootsMagic and see if the issues have been resolved.

Please note that its best to disconnect from the internet when you run your anti-virus and anti-malware programs. That is because these bugs are getting very sophisticated and "call" home when you try to remove them.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:41 PM

Renee,

As soon as I read your post it looked very familiar. I think you shared this a little over a year ago (probably after the last big Win 10 update...).

I'll try all these and see if they fix it.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

Access Violations errors can have many causes. I am going to give you a list of things to try and rule out the issue, after you have restarted your computer.

1. In RootsMagic go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. If any issues are found run them a second time. Check if that resolved the error.
  2. Run your anti-virus software program. Do a full scan. Windows 7 or later versions will have Windows Defender installed and should run that. If you don't have an anti-virus program then download Microsoft Security Essentials (free).
  3. Download and install CCleaner (free) and run both the Cleaner and Registry tools. You do want it to fix the registry problems. When given the option to save a restore point please do so, just in case you need it. You can download CCleaner from here - https://www.ccleaner...leaner/download
  4. Download and install Malwarebytes (free) and do a full scan of your computer. You will want to remove any bugs found. You can download Malwarebytes from here - https://www.malwareb...m/mwb-download/

There is no need to purchase the full version of CCleaner or Malwarebytes. The free versions will work just fine.

After doing that shut down your computer and restart it. Then open RootsMagic and see if the issues have been resolved.

Please note that its best to disconnect from the internet when you run your anti-virus and anti-malware programs. That is because these bugs are getting very sophisticated and "call" home when you try to remove them.

Renee,

OK , I completed all of the steps you listed and TreeShare still hangs in the final stages of updating Ancestry. I have to use task manager to close RM after the program freezes. I'm stumped but I suspect this has something to do with Ancestry because everything else in RM7 is working normally. Maybe in a day or so it will clear up.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

It's possible, but there is one thing to check. Have you added a lot of new people to the database? If there are a large number of unconnected people in the database during the compare stage it can hang. I see this happen when people have been merged into the file. In that case its best to disconnect and then upload a new tree. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

It's possible, but there is one thing to check. Have you added a lot of new people to the database? If there are a large number of unconnected people in the database during the compare stage it can hang. I see this happen when people have been merged into the file. In that case its best to disconnect and then upload a new tree. 

Renee,

No, I add new persons but only one or two at a time. Today, ANC TreeShare is working, but the response time is extreamly slow. I have also had several messages pop up today, when I am viewing a TreeShare related record in ANC, that states they are having issues with ANC.com and they regret any inconvenience. I take that to mean they will have it cleared up soon.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#10 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

Renee,

OK, the problem is just getting worse. As far as I can tell, RM apart from TreeShare, is working OK. If I log into my tree on Ancestry, separate from RM, everything seems OK. The issue is when I try to use TreeShare to update RM data to my Ancestry tree. It freezes every time. I was working on one particular individual when the problem came up. To try and eliminate something with that person's profile being the cause, I deleted that person from my Ancestry tree and then readded it from RM. This seemed to have no effect.

I'm considering loading a new RM tree to Ancestry. Before I do, a few questions.

1. I'd have to create a new RM database (or just rename my current one), right?

2. I 'd then have to disconnect from Ancestry, and reconnect with the new database. right?

3. Wouldn't this reset all my hints in Ancestry, and then I would have to review them all and close them again. Right?

Any ideas regarding a better alternative way to fix this?

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#11 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

You don't have to make a new RM database. Just disconnect the existing one from ancestry and reconnect to a new ancestry tree. Yes, you will reset all your ancestry hints.

Jerry

#12 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:07 PM

Dear Rick,

I hope it isn't heresy to suggest that the best way to post your research on the web is to abandon Tree Share and use RootsMagic and GedSite together to put up the data in the form you prefer. Ancestry.com could still be used for research, of course. Ancestry Tree Share is rife with API problems, the necessity to bow to their formats, and constant repetitive web hints, many of which are duplicates, irrelevant, or just plain wrong.

It's only necessary to look at this forum's posts to see how much trouble Tree Share has caused and how much of your time and RM's time are wasted because of it.

#13 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

You don't have to make a new RM database. Just disconnect the existing one from ancestry and reconnect to a new ancestry tree. Yes, you will reset all your ancestry hints.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

That's what I thought, but just wanted to be sure before I do something that will cost me a "zillion" hours of cleanup. BTW, I have a prefix code that tells me which persons I have completed research for (including reviewing hints) so the resetting of the hints would not be too bad.

Rick

RickL

#14 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

Dear Rick,

I hope it isn't heresy to suggest that the best way to post your research on the web is to abandon Tree Share and use RootsMagic and GedSite together to put up the data in the form you prefer. Ancestry.com could still be used for research, of course. Ancestry Tree Share is rife with API problems, the necessity to bow to their formats, and constant repetitive web hints, many of which are duplicates, irrelevant, or just plain wrong.

Robert,

I totally agree. I have spent the better part of the past two years figuring out work arounds and fixes for all the issues I have encountered with TreeShare. I use Ancestry extensively for research but all these problems make trying to sync my RM database with A.com is just not worth it. I'm not familiar with GedSite but I'll check it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick

RickL

#15 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

Update - -

Creating and linking to a new Ancestry tree solved the issues that I assume were somehow caused by the recent Windows 10 update. However, it did reset (or turn back on) all my Ancestry hints that had been previously reviewed and closed. Fortunately I had developed a flagging system, using the RM prefix field, that told me which person's research, including checking hints, had been completed. I am able to use that to turn the hints back off again where appropriate. An additional issue caused by creating the new Ancestry tree is that the profile images in Ancestry have all been reset to the default male or female silhouette. These will have to be reassigned to the original image where needed.

Bunch of work to get back to square one   :(

Thanks to all for the help.

Rick

PS - I need to add a post script to this reply. I discovered it is much easier to review the Ancestry hints on the Ancestry side, and if you ignore them there they are also turned off on the RM side. A.com also provides who added the info in the hint. To my surprise, I discovered that many times it was me. This made turning off (or ignoring) the hint a "no brainer" and is speeding up the cleanup significantly after having to create a new tree in A.com.

FYI

Rick

RickL

#16 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Update 2

TreeShare updates from RM continue to be extreamly slow. Multiple item updates take much longer than singles. I'm not having any issues with RM, Ancestry, or any other Apps except for the problem with TreeShare. I still have occasional freezes, but that problem is much better now. Since RM and Ancestry are not having any issues other than TreeShare, I have to believe there must be some problem with that interface. As I stated previously, I have followed Renee's suggestions and cleaned my PC, ran my RM database tools, checked for malware and viruses, and rebooted my Tree with Ancestry (which causes a ton of rework regarding hints). None of this has cured the issue with TreeShare.

I'm open to any suggestions for what to do next.

FYI

Rick

RickL